PC HW update

Previous topic - Next topic

Mats E

This subject has previously been discussed but time flies as well as the developement of technology.

I'm a PC guy (not Mac) with a need to upgrade my HW. The computer was up to date 3-4 years ago. However, after the last updated PS now requesting for a more powerful graphic card.

My files are currently coming from an X2D-100c and of course using Phocus as my main tool for importing/converting the raw files as well as all basic editing. As needed, the files are then exporten as Tiff for (if needed) additional editing in PS, Helicon focus, Silver effects, etc. Printing passes through Mirage by Dinax to a Epson P5000.

Currently, the internal memory is 16GB. As of today, which graphic card is addviseable including memory size as well as size of Ram memory? Is the 16GB still ok or better to go for 32 or even 64GB without wasting money by overkill?

Cheers
Mats
Mats

tjelt

In December my computer died so I had to do an upgrade with a new motherboard, CPU and ram.  I have 128GB of system ram and an NVidia 3060 video card with 12GB of vram.  The 128GB of system ram is overkill for most people but it suits my workflow.  I would highly recommend 64GB.  The Windows operating system itself needs 8GB of ram to be happy. Upgrading ram is the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to your machine to improve performance. 

Mats E

Quote from: tjelt on February 23, 2024, 05:55:14 AMIn December my computer died so I had to do an upgrade with a new motherboard, CPU and ram.  I have 128GB of system ram and an NVidia 3060 video card with 12GB of vram.  The 128GB of system ram is overkill for most people but it suits my workflow.  I would highly recommend 64GB.  The Windows operating system itself needs 8GB of ram to be happy. Upgrading ram is the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to your machine to improve performance. 

Thanks for your advice and recommendations. In line with your views, I think 64GB would be fine for RAM. As far as I understand, Phocus is also using the graphic card exstensively. Hence, important to have a good one also loaded with some memory. Any idea how much when it comes to the graphic card? A potential more expensive part of the configuration.
Mats