Comparing the CFV II 50C to the CFV 100C

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhillsc

Has anyone compared images shot with the 50C and the 100C and drawn any conclusions (other than size) about the differences in these sensors?

SrMi

Quote from: mjhillsc on February 16, 2024, 04:36:02 AMHas anyone compared images shot with the 50C and the 100C and drawn any conclusions (other than size) about the differences in these sensors?
I compared X1D II with X2D. The main difference is less noise and more resolution.

jakontil

Quote from: SrMi on February 16, 2024, 06:31:03 AM
Quote from: mjhillsc on February 16, 2024, 04:36:02 AMHas anyone compared images shot with the 50C and the 100C and drawn any conclusions (other than size) about the differences in these sensors?
I compared X1D II with X2D. The main difference is less noise and more resolution.

That less noise is interesting, is that noticeable? Asking because i never used the previous generation and so amazed with the x2d/cfv100c

SrMi

Quote from: jakontil on February 17, 2024, 03:03:11 PM
Quote from: SrMi on February 16, 2024, 06:31:03 AM

That less noise is interesting, is that noticeable? Asking because i never used the previous generation and so amazed with the x2d/cfv100c
I noticed it when I compared shots with heavy lifting of shadows at higher ISOs. That is probably due to the new dual conversion gain in the new sensor.
In many situations, one would not notice much difference, I guess. I have not done extensive tests.

Jager

I don't have a comparison with the CFV II 50C.  But I've shot extensively with the original 50mp CFV-50C, which has the same wondrous 50mp sensor.  I now also own the 907x/CFV-100C.

My use case with the CFV-50C has nearly always been... tripod, base ISO, mirror pre-release.  As those optimized the stellar imaging performance of the back's sensor.

In that context, the new CFV-100C brings more resolution, which would certainly be an advantage if making unusually large prints.  But the 50mp in the previous sensor easily covered up to 17x22," the largest size I typically ever print.

The bigger thing the CFV-100C brings, when paired with the 907x and XCD lenses, is expanding the gamut of use case possibilities.  It frees one from a tripod, if desired.  It's better high-ISO performance extends the shooting environments in which clean images can be obtained.  And it makes things like low-light and long-exposure photography easier.

The CFV-100C is a fabulous back for lots of reasons.  But not because of a marked improvement in inherent base image quality.  The two previous 50mp versions already had that pretty well covered.

JCM-Photos

What I miss in the last CFV II 50c update enabling the XCD V lenses use is the new 100c function that writes CF and F Zeiss lenses focal length in the files EXIF data.

Whith my 50c I have to notice manually the CF focal length for each image and select it manually in the Phocus lens correction tab
Sharpen your eyes not your files