HC 50 on X cameras

Previous topic - Next topic

fh29

Heard good things about the HC50 mkII mounted on H bodies. I'm now curious to know how it behaves on X cameras, specifically with the standard XH adapter.

Maybe some of you had the chance to test and compare it to the xcd 45s, 55 and 65 ?

Thanks!

JCM-Photos

From my experience having the HCD28, compared to my XCD21
colors are the same, contrast too
Center performance is identical in sharpness
Used with adapter The HCD has less edge and corner sharpness than the XCD.
perhaps with the .8 converter it could be better in corners, I didn't try it.

The real huge difference is size, weight, filter size
Sharpen your eyes not your files

ashdown

I'm on my second orange dot HC 50mm ii. The first one I traded in for the xcd 65mm as the 50mm along with the adapter is twice the size. However when I started using the HTC tilt shift adapter I realised the 50mm was going to be the perfect lens for me where the 1.5x magnification makes it a 75mm. I now use it a lot with or without the HTS. It renders very nicely with great colours and sharpness without the harsh digital micro contrast that many modern lenses have.

It is an exceptional lens but I don't think it has any major advantages over the 45mm, 55mm or 65mm lenses, apart from the ability to use the HTC or 0.8 adapter. You have to really hunt to find anything wrong with any of the XCD lenses. It's more a matter of what you prefer when it comes to rendering and handling.

fh29

Thank you gentlemen !

I too like how the HC 80 renders, and sort of hoped/expected the 50 to be close. Discounted orange versions have been floating around lately, which triggered some GAS  ::)
I already own the 45/3.5 and had my eyes on the 65, going for the HC50 looked like a possible one size fits all compromise. Weight, bulk and older tech (as in no longer supported) are serious drawbacks though, it'd really require some testing.