Considering an X1D mk 2: how is the reliability?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark24173

I've been looking (on a large screen) at pictures I took a few years back with an X1D (mark 1), and I'm still quite blown away. When everything clicks, you get absolute magic.

The "when everything clicks" is in reference to the X1D itself, which was what I like to call a prima donna. Acted up, went on strike, threw error messages at me, refused to recognise the lens which was mounted, drained the battery as fast as Usain Bolt...and then, when it decided to behave, gave me image quality to kill for.

I'm definitely gun shy about the mark 1, but now the prices of the mark 2 are starting to tempt me. I've seen used examples on auction sites (I'm in Japan, and generally people are scrupulously honest when it comes to selling online) which are now within my budget. As for the lens, I'd have to stick with the 45 F4 for financial reasons for now, although I know from my time with the X1D mark 1 that that lens is no slouch itself.

Given that the mark 2 has been out for four and a bit years now, I would imagine that any glitches and so on have been ironed out, but I'd like to get a sample of responses from users of the mk 2. In particular, a) have you had any issues, b) what were they, c) were they easy to resolve,  and d) if the camera had to go back to Hasselblad, what was the service like?

Hasselblad closed their flagship store in Tokyo last year, so if I do end up with a brick, it could be a bit of a drag as I would presumably have to send it to Sweden (and as it would be used, it would presumably not be covered by any guarantees, etc.)

I'm fairly aware of the improvements of the mk2 over the mk1, so I'm mainly interested in reliability.

Thanks in advance for all responses!

Bob Andersson

Hi Mark. I'll step in early to say mine has not let me down. The potential pitfall with asking a question like this, perfectly reasonable and fair though it is, is that owners who have had problems are far more likely to respond which somewhat skews the overall impression. Good luck if you do decide to go ahead.

Mark24173

Thanks for your response. You're quite right too; like the old saying goes, a satisfied customer tells three people and a dis-satisfied customer tells ten.

Of course I could also interpret that to mean that if I don't get too many horror stories, then the camera really is reliable!

tenmangu81

Hi Mark,

I've got my X1D II 3 years ago, and it works wonderfully. The only problem I have (and some other people have had too) is a brown spot on the rear screen, with no other consequence. The images are splendid, the EVF works fine, etc... It seems as coming from the pressure applied from the nose on the screen when shooting (yes !!), as it appears at the same place for all people.
Have a look at this thread:
https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,9457.0.html
Robert

JCM-Photos

Even the Mk1 hardware reliability is top, the big problem of this camera was firmware that did not work at all at launch with more than twenty updates and one complete rewriting necessary during years until it was OK.
My Mk1 is one of the first Hasselblad demo cameras at launch, and it still works perfect today with the latest firmware.
Hardware issues of some Mk1 batches were contact problems on front and rear wheels also release button on black edition model.
Wheels contact problems have been solved via firmware by filtering out contact parasites.(filter can be activated in hidden factory menu)
with all the experience of Mk1, Mk2 was perfect at launch.

Today, Mk1 is not V series lenses compatible, but Mk2 and CFVII 50c are.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Whitten

I've had my X1DII for a year. I love it and have had no problems. I got it from a store, which meant I could return it if I encountered any issues. The start had it listed as 'good', not excellent or mint, but when I got it I could see barely any signs of use. It is at least 'excellent' IMO.
The only problem I've had with it is it's inability to recognise the 45p lens from time to time....only when I'm swapping out lenses. Usually if you turn the camera off and back on it works, or if you remove the battery and reinsert. It's annoying but not a deal breaker.
If I have the 45p installed on the body for a while I have no issues, only when swapping repeatedly between the 45p and 65mm. No problem with the 65, it only seems to be a 45p issue.

Conner999

Disclosure: Have one for sale here.

Moved from the H5D to the X1D2 and never had an issue. Utterly flawless using various XCD lenses and a boatload of HC/D lenses with both the XH and XH0.8 adapter.

polarphoto

Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 14, 2024, 04:08:44 PMEven the Mk1 hardware reliability is top, the big problem of this camera was firmware that did not work at all at launch with more than twenty updates and one complete rewriting necessary during years until it was OK.
My Mk1 is one of the first Hasselblad demo cameras at launch, and it still works perfect today with the latest firmware.
Hardware issues of some Mk1 batches were contact problems on front and rear wheels also release button on black edition model.
Wheels contact problems have been solved via firmware by filtering out contact parasites.(filter can be activated in hidden factory menu)

Can one check if this hidden filter has been activated or activate by oneself or do one need to send the camera to Hasselblad?
Borealis

pflower

I never had the X1DII but I had one of the very earliest X1Ds.  Some teething problems, particularly over the control wheels which had to be replaced by Hasselblad under warranty.  But after that I travelled throughout South East Asia (very hot), Poland, England, other European countries  with it and made over 8,000 images without a single problem. So my guess is if the X1D was pretty robust the X1DII will be as good and offers some better features.  Now on an X2D which I am about to take to India.

So I would think you'd be pretty safe with the X1DII.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: polarphoto on February 15, 2024, 11:24:46 AM
Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 14, 2024, 04:08:44 PMEven the Mk1 hardware reliability is top, the big problem of this camera was firmware that did not work at all at launch with more than twenty updates and one complete rewriting necessary during years until it was OK.

Can one check if this hidden filter has been activated or activate by oneself or do one need to send the camera to Hasselblad?
Yes how to do it by yourself :
@17:30 https://youtu.be/pCutcOdv3ZA?si=1QyjCIlBkaaIOnc4

normally firmware update should activate it automatically
Sharpen your eyes not your files

grotte

I had mine since 2019. Es ist fantastisch!