Anyone care to share experience of using CFVII 50C back on a 500 series camera

Previous topic - Next topic

mikaelo67

The 503CW and 501CM are so similar that they share the same manual.

The only interesting differences are that the 503CW has the TTL flash (not usable with newer flash systems) and the ability to attach a winder to the body. (I have it and never ever use it)

I actually has both bodies and never really care which I grab to use. So either one is great with the CFVII 50C.

photoenthusiasm

I used my 907x/ cfv50c back on a 553elx. Worked well but prices on the non-motorized 500 series are so ridiculously high: better stay with the x-sytem as the lenses are significantly better.

ramarren

Thanks for the detail on the differences between 501CM/503CW and 500CM bodies. I guess the gliding mirror is a nice touch if you use longer lenses a lot, but my longest is now a 180mm and I can't see much cut off with that using my 500CM bodies.

I paid so little for my 500CMs (one purchased 2012, the other 2020) it felt like I was stealing them.

The X series lenses are better optimized for the digital sensor (yes, I have three of them), but I've had no issues with my classic V lenses used with the 500CM and imaging on the CFVII 50c. They've all been bargains compared to what I remember them costing back in the day.

I would like either the 90 or 100 macro in X series. ;)

G

bags

Attached my (new-to-me) 50c to my HB 500 c/m. Shooting through the WLV and it was amazing! I have a question.

The only non-landscape photo I took looked like I had backfocused. I think I read that sometimes the fit between the back and the camera isn't perfect and it can result in misfocusing. But I can't remember the fix for that.

Thanks!

EDIT: never mind! I think it was misfocus rather than backfocus! :-)

But another question: how to view the scene in Live View. I thought I following the directions by setting the lens on "B" and bringing up the mirror. Is there something else? thanks!

mikaelo67

satijntje

Quote from: bags on February 25, 2024, 05:55:37 AMThe only non-landscape photo I took looked like I had backfocused. I think I read that sometimes the fit between the back and the camera isn't perfect and it can result in misfocusing. But I can't remember the fix for that.

Thanks!

EDIT: never mind! I think it was misfocus rather than backfocus! :-)

Some time ago I had bought a 503CX from the Hasselblad representative Ulf Kuhn in Germany, knowing that if there would be a problem I could always get back to him for repairs.
My first 3 fotoshootings with the 503 and the CFVII 50c were done at areas where I used the camera only with infinit distance focus and the images were stunning.
However when I recently checked the correct focus at shorter distances (a few m up to 10m) I saw a clear back focus.
In order to avoid my own mistake of wrong focusing I gave the camera to a friend who came to the same conclusion.
So my 503 is now in Ahrensburg with Mr. Kuhn who will make the necessary adjustments on the 503CX.
Eager to see what consequences it will have for analog shootings (which I rarely will do with the 503CX as I also have a SWC.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: marcwilson on February 13, 2024, 02:27:29 AMWith the CFV backs (50 or 100) is there any compelling reason to use a 503 body over a 501cm body?
Ignoring flash ttl options.
Assuming same or similar age.

Thanks.
The body changed a lot within the 503 series between 503CX on one side and 503CXi on the other
The main change is no more T switch on the CXi and CW and a bigger release button.

That makes older macro extention tubes no more compatible with the CXi that requires the new and last modell.
One has to be very carefull with 503 CXi, CW, CWD and 501C, CM when purchasing macro extention tubes.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

JCM-Photos

The CFV 50c is really no more up to date for today's use, compared to the CFV II 50c that is,
even if the sensor chip is the same differences are huge :
- bulky external sony battery vs integrated X series battery
- one CF card vs two SD cards
- firewire vs USB C
- 1,5s between two frames vs 2,5 frames per second
- fixed backscreen vs tilting screen
- buttons UI vs touchscreen

sailronin

I sometimes use my CFV 50c ii back on a 503cw, mostly to take advantage of a longer lens.  Below is a shot taken with the CVF50c ii on the HB 503cw with Zeiss cf 250mm lens processed in Phocus.

Below a close focus with the HB503cw and CFV 50c ii back with cf250mm

JCM-Photos

501C has no gliding mirror, 501CM has a gliding mirror

Main difference between 501 C(M) and 503CW is that the 503CW has an optional winder and the 501 has no.

The winder can be interesting for faster digital shooting

sailronin

Also the 503cw has TTL flash (with correct flash) while that is not possible with the 501cm.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: marcwilson on February 12, 2024, 08:29:28 AM
Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 06, 2024, 11:24:30 AMYes I love my 503 CX with the CFV II 50c and the Acute Mate D screen with digital format lines.

Do you have the model number for that screen...I've heard it's the best option for this set up.
Thanks

Yes it's "Hasselblad 3042264 focusing screen for CFV-50C"

I bought it new from my Hasselblad retailer at normal retail price between launch of the CFV II and delivery of mine.

I guess that today this screen is outsold as new Hasselblad official spare part,

I've seen it on interner as used or NOS mostly at double original retail price !