H6D battery finding

Previous topic - Next topic

jahn

hello, I bought a used H6D with only 3000 actuations which to me seems pretty new even tho is a ten - twelve year old camera. It only came with one battery grip, and I found a used one online and when I charged it it seems like is not charging at all, cosmetically looks new too. Does anyone recommend I find a new charger port and see if that helps, even tho it charges the original battery that came with the camera? Or is there a wall plug adapter like my old H4D had? Thanks in advance.

DavidH

Your charger is able to top up the battery that you received with the H6D... I would conclude the the charger is 100% ok.
the second battery that you have is suspect. Also, there were several versions of the battery over the years. I believe there was one for early H1's that was a different voltage.

I think all the digital H's are the same voltage (7.2v) but several different amperage batteries were released through the years where early H's to about H4D was 1850 mah. Then the battery current was increased to 2900 mah, then they increased the current to 3200 mah when the H6D was released because the display required extra current.

I don't own a an H6D but I've heard conflicting accounts if the 1850 and 2900 mah batteries work with the H6d (obviously with shorter run times if it does work at all?).

When you charge the problem battery does it appear to fully charge or does the charger indicate a fault via the lights on the charger?

If the battery pack is bad, Conner999 has written several really good posts on this site about how to replace bad batteries inside the grip with good ones!

Hope that helps,

David

jahn

Thanks for this David! The second battery bought online, charges to what it seems the lowest charging indicator on the screen, when the battery reaches down to the red mark. Thats the maximum it gets.

The original that came with the camera, it reaches 99 percent.

But I am really curious about replacing the batteries, I will search for that. Also, I read the manual and it says this: Rechargeable Li-ion battery (7.2 VDC/3200 mAh); Socket for external power. A USB Host can partly supply power. Camera battery is required. does that mean there is a wall plug adapter to power the camera?

DavidH

Hi Jahn,

I'm not sure what the manual actually means in terms of power. I guess that USB alone doesn't have enough power or voltage for the H6D versus 7.2v (with relatively high current) from the grip.

Fully charged grip batteries produce over 8 volts at first that drops with usage until it triggers the low battery warning (or you recharge before then). The term 7.2v is a  some kind average voltage for the entire state of the battery cycle.

Since Hasselblad doesn't sell H batteries anymore, all of us will need to address cell replacement at some point.

In addition to Conner999, Docholliday and Jerome_m have written excellent posts on battery replacement that I would really recommend.

If you plan to do the work yourself, it's advisable to read as much as you can and work slowly. There seems to be different kinds of Lithium ion cell technology, 3.6 and 3.7 volts per cell (there may be more). The H grip has 2 cells to produce 7.2v. I'm not sure what type of cell you need. It might be advisable to replace with the exact same type of cell technology (hopefully the information is written on the cell itself). There is some circuitry inside the grip that communicates with the camera regarding charge status via the other pins on the grip. After replacing the batteries there is a process of resetting the grip starting with fully charged batteries, removing the lens and finder then hold two buttons on the camera and attaching the grip. The camera eventually signals that this is complete. You can find information about how to do this reset on this or Hasselblad's site.

David

eddymendoza

Sorry to step in uninviting but I'm in a similar situation with my H5Dc wifi. I purchased the camera with one 2900 battery and a charger. The battery works great and charges fine and lasts for a long time but my camera can't or won't show % on the lcd. I've tried purchasing another battery but it's been difficult as they don't seem to be around any longer. I did see a 3200 mAh online somewhere but it was way too expensive. I tried using my older 1800 batteries form my older H2 but that only turns on the H5Dc and nothing else. I can use my older charger on the new battery but not the battery on the new camera. I guess it's not enough to run the system. Now I have another problem where the camera doesn't want to connect to my iPad or iPhone using it's built in wifi. Let me know if you have any experience with wifi. Thanks

DavidH