service for 500 cameras and lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne1

I was looking at the list of services provided by Hasselblad USA (Burbank CA), and notice that they no longer service the camera bodies or lenses.  Just for future information, are there independent service people around? The reason Hasselblad gives is that no parts are available. Surely there are a lot of bodies/lenses around to serve as donors for parts. Hasselblad of course would not deal with used parts, but there must be shops that do.
Wayne

mikaelo67

There's is a bunch of Hasselblad V series service providers around. In Sweden and USA. If you just google Hasselblad V service you'll get some suggestions. I dont have any experience with US ones. But in Sweden I have done CLA's on a few bodies.

One example in USA.

https://www.precisioncameraworks.com/hasselblad

Im sure some people here has their favorites.

mikaelo67

There are a lot of old stock out there. So there will probably always be spare parts to find. Especially for the 503 models that you got.

Fun fact or at least a beautiful fact.
I actually got this about 10 years back for fun. New Old Stock of a 50th anniversary Golden Blue 503cx. Untouched in its box. Have never used it. I have opened the box once when I bought it. Never picked it up, just looked at it.

A beautiful camera. They made 700 of them with 24 karat gold-plating with blue leather trim.

This is what it looks like. The open box picture is from the internet.

wayne1

My God, that is beautiful! I thought my Millennium was nice, but that is another level.
Now with all my investment, I hope I will be able to keep all functioning for a few years!
Today I received the PME45 and the Distagon 50mm CFi FlE. Both mint; really look unused. The 80mm and 150mm CF are also like new.
I wish I would have been a little more patient in getting the lenses. I just got the Hasselblad Manual by Wildi, and if I read that first I would have got the 120 Makro Planar instead of the 150, or maybe the 180. Maybe the 100 in place of the 80. I need to get some experience first.

Wayne

mikaelo67

I didn't buy the 503cx to use it. Just to have it. And it was a perfect addition to my Royal Urushi Rollei 35 and Rolleiflex 2.8gx Royal Urushi that I have. Google them, wonderful and beautiful cameras. So with the CX; they become a Royal Golden Blue Trio.

I have a few Hasselblad bodies and none of them has ever broken down. So the quality seems to be very good. I have done a couple of CLA's but that's it.

I have the 120 macro planar, love that lens. So that was my choice instead of 150mm. But I think you will love the 80mm. That is my favorite lens. Take care of your cameras and handle them with care and I bet you will have them in working order for many many years to come.

If I can help out in any way, dont hesitate to reach out.

wayne1

Mikaelo67

The Urushi sounds very interesting! I collect fountain pens, and some of the most beautiful and desired pens are Urushi lacquer finished, mostly from Japan, but also France. I wonder if the coating on the Rollei this same finish. Is it black or perhaps red? In the pen world, it is the sap from the Urushi tree, very toxic to the skin until cured properly. When cured, it is very hard and scratch resistant.
I completely understand about just wanting the camera for its beauty! That is part of the reason I am getting the 503CW kit, all in mint condition. I just want to have it, but I will also use it very carefully. I am pleased just looking at it, but I am sure the photographic experience will be wonderful.

mikaelo67

The Rolleiflex Urushi was made in a very limited series. I think 250 pcs. The Rollei 35 Royal a little more.

As far as I know there is one know collection in Japan with all three cameras. When I saw the pictures on those three cameras I know I needed to try to get the three myself. It took me ruffly 10 years to find all three of them. The finish of the Urushi cameras are amazing. The Hasselblad just fits in my opinion.

The Rollei 35 Royal, I also managed to find new and untouched in a the original box. The Rolleiflex I only found without the box unfortunately. But in mint condition with the original receipt and manual and accessories.

The Rolleiflex is also 120 film, same as your Hasselblad and is a wonderful camera to use. I also have a Rolleiflex 2.8 FX that I actually use. If you get hooked on film. Look in to that camera as well. Very very fun to use.

Im in Miami right now and my cameras are in Sweden. But I managed to find a few pictures of them on the internet and also a picture of the complete collection in Japan. Exactly the same as I now have. I will post them here so you can see. Let me know what you think.

wayne1

Those cameras are really beautiful! You are indeed fortunate to have them. I looked at the Rollei before ending up with the Hasselblad; also the 6x6 format which I like a lot. The modular nature of the Hasselblad sold me. If film greatly appeals to me, a Rolleiflex Fx or Gx would be a serious consideration. I do have a Rollei 35 Classic, "Platin edition" , unused. Physically I guess the same camera as your Royal but not so elegant or rare. In the next few days, I will go out to shoot a couple of rolls to see how the old Hasselblad items have survived the years and if I can manage to make them perform. The weather here is  gorgeous this time of year and offers some great opportunities to photograph.