Cloud Storage - specifically Google Drive

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick CM

Can one be sure that what a company says is what it does? How much would it cost to encourage an employee thereof to accidentally send a copy of the database...
I'm not suggesting at all that this could happen of course.
With my NAS, it's mine; only I control the content. Only I can share it. Only I know the encryption codes.

bmikiten

Quote from: Patrick CM on January 29, 2024, 08:05:06 AM
Can one be sure that what a company says is what it does? How much would it cost to encourage an employee thereof to accidentally send a copy of the database...
With my NAS, it's mine; only I control the content. Only I can share it. Only I know the encryption codes.

I used to work with highly sensitive data and the "owners" of the data required both encrypted local storage on specific servers and OS versions but would later allow cloud storage. We lost our local storage once and were happy to have two redundancies both in the cloud and in a daily remote backup. I'm still used to this method hence the remote storage initial question. Dropbox doesn't care what is uploaded but Google Photos does recognize the .tiff files and rejects them per the prior notes.

SrMi

Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides apparently allow client-side encryption with a Workspace account.

fcarucci

I worked at Google for years: there are very strict regulations that regulate how information is accessed by employees and prevent what you are writing from happening.

That said, I store as much as possible of my data locally nonetheless.