XCD 45MM VS HC 35M

Previous topic - Next topic

ayash

Hi All!

I was contemplating parting with my HC 35mm and go with the 45mm XCD ( f4 or f3.5)
The HC 35mm has performed really well on my X1DII, which is equivalent to 43mm when used with the XH adapter
the only issue is the size, could do with losing 600grams while traveling..
But ofcourse it also turns into a wide angle when using my 0.80 XH adapter

Would love to hear your thoughts..

MGrayson

Quote from: ayash on January 11, 2024, 02:55:03 AM
Hi All!

I was contemplating parting with my HC 35mm and go with the 45mm XCD ( f4 or f3.5)
The HC 35mm has performed really well on my X1DII, which is equivalent to 43mm when used with the XH adapter

Where focal lengths overlap, the smaller and lighter (and sharper) XCD lenses always win. I use some Zeiss V-mount lenses, but almost never use the HC lenses on the shelf.

The XCD 45's are REALLY good glass, and available used quite cheap.

flash

Quote from: ayash on January 11, 2024, 02:55:03 AM
Hi All!

How does the HC35 become equivalent to a 43mm?? If you mean compared to putting it on a H camera sure but that's got zero to do with how it compares to an XCD lens on an X system camera.

Your HC35 will be much wider than the 45mm XCD lens no matter which adaptor you use when mounted on the X1DII. If you want a similar angle of view you should be looking at the XCD38mm (The closest prime focal length. The zoom is the closest actual.) or 28mm when using the 0.8x adaptor on the HC 35 (which would be the closest when using the HC35 on an H camera).

Gordon

ayash

When using an XH adapter, the focal length increases, since the HC lenses have a focal length relevant to a full size medium format sensor, whereas the X1DII is a cropped sensor.
Attached is the chart from Hasselblad to explain

[/quote]

How does the HC35 become equivalent to a 43mm?? If you mean compared to putting it on a H camera sure but that's got zero to do with how it compares to an XCD lens on an X system camera.

Your HC35 will be much wider than the 45mm XCD lens no matter which adaptor you use when mounted on the X1DII. If you want a similar angle of view you should be looking at the XCD38mm (The closest prime focal length. The zoom is the closest actual.) or 28mm when using the 0.8x adaptor on the HC 35 (which would be the closest when using the HC35 on an H camera).

Gordon
[/quote]

flash

Quote from: ayash on January 11, 2024, 09:46:25 AM
When using an XH adapter, the focal length increases, since the HC lenses have a focal length relevant to a full size medium format sensor, whereas the X1DII is a cropped sensor.
Attached is the chart from Hasselblad to explain

Gordon
[/quote]
[/quote]

Nope, that's not how it works. Sorry. You've gotten slightly befuddled. It's easy to do.

35mm is 35mm no matter what, unless you add a teleconverter or a reducer (ie the 0.8x reducer). As long as the image circle is big enough to cover the sensor the angle of view of ANY 35mm lens on the X1DII will be identical. *On the X1DII* your HC35mm has EXACTLY the same field of view as the wide end of the 35-75mm XCD zoom. Putting ANY 45mm lens on the X1D will show a narrower field of view.

So, what's actually happening is you're still at 35mm but you're looking at the central part of the image circle (compared to a H series camera). The focal length does NOT change. Just the angle of view *IF* you use the lens on cameras with different sized sensors. A 43mm lens on the H6 will have the same angle of view as the 35mm on the X1D because the sensor size is different.

Hope this makes sense.

flash

And I should add, the whole point of the XCD 0.8x reducer is to make HC lenses behave the same on the X cameras as if they were on an H camera. Your 35mm on the X1DII WITH the 0.8x has the same angle of view as it does natively on the H6. Apparent aperture is also modified to perform like it would on the H camera.

AND I think I see what you're saying in your first post after re-reading it. I think english may not be your first language?? And I apologise. The HC35mm lens on the X1D would have the same AOV as a 43mm lens on the H6 sensor. That doesn't change my math, above. Just my poor reading skills for your explanation.

Gordon

jhasselblad

I have created an overview for myself

hcubell

One other point to note is the issue of IQ. The HC 35mm lens was, in my experience, the weakest of the HC lenses that I owned and I eventually sold it off. In the center of the frame it was ok, but toward the corners it was poor. OTOH, my XCD 30mm and 45mm lenses are exceptional.