Techart TCX-01 for canon EOS to Hasselblad x

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne1

I just  received the Techart TCX-01 to adapt Canon TSE lenses to the Hasselblad, in my case the X2d. I updated the Techart firmware to version 7.0 and installing the adapter with a TSE 24 I get the message "lens initializing" and nothing more. Same problem with TSE 90.On the Techart website, they suggests turning off the camera, press and hold the silver button on the adapter body, turn on the camera and release the button and wait 5 seconds. Nothing changes.
Before I package it up and get an exchange or refund, has anyone seen this error and figured out what to do?

maxct

It's a known issue - I had the same problem. People are waiting for another firmware update from Techart to work with the latest Hasselblad firmware.  I gave up and sold my Canon TS-E lenses instead...

MGrayson

I have tried far too many adapted lenses. I've come to some conclusions.

Native (same manufacturer, e.g., Hasselblad HC lenses on an X camera with a Hasselblad adapter) has a good chance of working.

Fully manual (no electrical contacts, e.g., Hassy Zeiss, Mamiya 645, Pentax 67) have a very good chance of working.

Anything else WILL bite you eventually. There are borderline cases - Leica makes S adapters for Contax 645 and Hasselblad HC lenses. These combinations work pretty well.

Matt

wayne1

OK, thanks guys

I recently put together a X1D ii, 0.8 converter, HTS 1.5 and HCD 28mm lens for tilt/shift. It is pretty tank-like system, and so far I have used it for shift only ( I am new at this). Ultimately, tilt will be an important use for me. The idea of using the Canon TSE lenses with the Hasselblad was (1) I already have them, and (2) if they worked even marginally it would give me a somewhat smaller, lighter system with which to practice tilt. Bad idea I guess. The Techart goes back to B and H.

Wayne

wayne1

Actually, another reason that I tried it was that Bo "the man" Christensen reported on his youtube channel  that the X2D played well with Canon tse lenses and the Techart adapter after installing the latest firmware (7.0). Not sure why he has success.
Wayne

Larsb

I had high hopes for the Techart TCX-01 adapter to my X2D, so I could reuse my older Canon lenses.  I also saw the YouTube videos, where he reviewer had a great deal of success with a number of lenses and spoke quite highly of the adapter.   My experience, was far less successful.  Only one of my Canon lenses would work with the adapter, and in the end, I think it was a waste of money that would have been better spent on putting it towards a Hasselblad lens
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

freusch

I have a Techart TCX-01 and use it with a Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II and the X2D.
Everything works fine.
Of course only with  electronic shutter and in manual mode.
The TS-E does not have autofocus

An EF 500 mm works with autofocus and an adapter, but slowly.

wayne1

freusch

Do you have firmware 3.1.0 in the X2D?

freusch

wndcttr

I have the same problem.
Every EF lens I've tried gives me the "Lens Initializing" error, and resetting has not made a difference.
I tried to check if it was the firmware in the TCX. I've used 3 different Macs with 3+ different cables. Both directly attached and also through USB hubs.
However I was never able to get the TCX to show up as a USB device, so I could not check if the firmware was out of date.

Larsb

I think that if Techart put a little bit more effort into the firmware and supported a few more Canon lenses, then this would be a useful product.  They have a great idea and it appears to be something that, at least, partially works, but it is critically let down by both a poor implementation and bad support.  I have tried to email their support a number of times and they never responded.
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

kerryX2D

Hi , the issue is that the Techart TCX-01 no longer works since Hasselblad released their firmware update.  It is possible to downgrade to Firmware v 2.01 and you should be able to use the adapter with Techart's latest firmware which is version 7.0 available on their website.

I tried contacting Techart for ages, but no response at all.

checkout this videos comments for discussion on same..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUtjjvWH4O8

I have to switch off Stabilization in camera for it to work.

I'm waiting for Techart to update their firmware before I update my X2D.. I don't need most of the features of the new firmware.. but Focus Mobile isn't working.

Eyelike

Hello everyone!  8)

Here's my experience:
X1D II V1.5.2 / SanDisk Extreme Pro 300 MB/S
Techart TCX-01 (Ver 7.0.0)
(I managed to update the Techart with a 2010 Mac Pro Mac OS Mojave and a usb extension card)

• The Canon 24mm and 17mm TSE work but in manual mode I regret that I don't get confirmation with the green square, so first I connect with the iPhone and by zooming in I can get a more precise exact focus I think (it must be a matter of habit). The result seems satisfactory :D .
• I tried the Canon 24-105mm-4 (no interest as too much vignetting).
• I tried the Canon 50mm-1.4 (it worked for 1 minute then the X1D got stuck with the orange light, I took the battery out and put the XCD 45P back in for everything to go back to normal  :-[ .
• I tried Canon 200mm-2.8 L II (it seems pretty cool!) but with Extender 2x II Vigneting is too present.

With Phocus I get the focal length and exposure data, but not the lens profile.

It turns out that Techart doesn't respond to messages (at least for the moment).

That's all!

Eyelike

PS : it seems that Techart TCX 01 pumps the whole battery even when switched off

Eyelike

PS (II) : with 200mm 2.8 L II with low light : vertical or horizontal stripes are appearing with long poses and X1D II seems to be heating up  :-[