Autofocus calibration

Previous topic - Next topic

Plancton06

Is there a way to reset the autofocus calibration?
My X2d is slightly missing focus with the 28p. I can focus more precisely manually. The difference is only apparent when zooming to 100%. I have tried many apertures and autofocus modes, including different sizes of the autofocus box.

Patrick CM

I have no idea. But when the AF is done, use your little finger to switch the MF then you can manual focus to get more accuracy....you can set the assist to 100%

Plancton06

yes I could do that, but it is annoying that the autofocus doesn't work correctly. It seems fine with my other lens. It could be problem with the lens

Georg Kovalcik

Yes, you are correct. You can and should expect the autofocus to work precisely. I would contact Hasselblad support.

mikeinpa

Quote from: Georg Kovalcik on January 06, 2024, 03:11:27 AM
Yes, you are correct. You can and should expect the autofocus to work precisely. I would contact Hasselblad support.

An X2D autofocussing precisely? Not a chance, no way. My Nikon Z9 will autofocus precisely on a flying birds eye at 20 yards, my X2D with any of my 3 lenses are incapable of precisely autofocussing on my stationary cats eyes at 20 inches.

I absolutely love both my X2D and X1Dii but autofocusing is not what I own them for.

mar-ko

Quote from: mikeinpa on January 06, 2024, 03:29:33 AM
An X2D autofocussing precisely? Not a chance, no way. My Nikon Z9 will autofocus precisely on a flying birds eye at 20 yards, my X2D with any of my 3 lenses are incapable of precisely autofocussing on my stationary cats eyes at 20 inches.
Hmm, my experience is different: I have seen Hasselblad cameras (H and X series) very precise in their focusing. They are not very fast and they do not track moving objects / correct for changes in distance (except for "true focus" with some H models). But that is not what I would call a lack of "precision". Maybe I should shoot more cats' eyes. ;)

SrMi

I absolutely love both my X2D and X1Dii but autofocusing is not what I own them for.

My X2D and X1D autofocus precisely on any landscape image.

MGrayson

AF on mirrorless isn't a matter of calibration. It's measuring off the sensor. The problems are wrong focus point, bad algorithm, or focus shift. The XCD 135 has a great talent for focusing on exactly what you don't want. I always use magnified manual to check. I think focus shift is a problem with the XCD 28P. I've often gotten a solid lock on focus which looks good wide open, but is clearly off at f/8. Now that claim should be easy to verify, but I haven't nailed an example down. I (and others) recommend stopped-down focusing, especially with focus peaking. For landscapes, it's not a big issue. For 5-10 feet, I think it matters.

My most used focus method in a room is to back-button focus and then lean my body to get the peaking colors where they surround the desired in-focus point.

Matt

mjhillsc

You problem may not be autofocus.  It might be forward or back focusing.  You might want to get a ruler out and set up a test of auto focus and manual focus. I found, as did Diglloyd's paid site, that the XCD 38mm was prone to focus shift.  It was bad enough that I returned the lens.  That said, I have not seen that with the 55mm that I recently received.

boojum

Not my experience with the X2D and the 55V or the 120 macro.  They both focus fine.  Not as fast as my Sony but the do focus as accurately.
Elpis

JCM-Photos

As far as I have heard from 28P users (I'self didn't use it), it seems that this lens has some field curvature and color vignetting, what makes it difficult to focus off center subjects, to get edge sharpness from flat subjects, ...

I very rarely found Hasselblad AF not precise or missing focus, not being able to focus yes, missing it when being able to, no.
What a have experienced is The other medium format is much more able to focus in every situation at the cost of missing more.

What never worked great on X1D and 907X cameras (for me not usable) is focus peaking with a way too large focus threshold.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

FloatingLens

One trick with the new 28 is to press and hold the DoF Preview button while manually focussing. The lens has a tendency to overblow fine highlights at f4 which makes it difficult to nail perfect focus. Just general experience, not an answer to the OT.

Plancton06

I did more tests, it is a problem of the lens, not the camera. The 45p always nails it perfectly, while the 28p chooses to focus slightly behind or at infinity if the subject is around 15ft away.

Can someone provide some safe measures for achieving close to hyper focal distances with these two lenses (45p and 28p)

tenmangu81

As you don't have a focus distance scale on the lens (contrary to what you get on the V lenses), it's not that easy to find the hyperfocal distance and keep it when switching off the camera.
Robert

JCM-Photos

The 45P, even if it has a mechanical manual focusing ring, doesn't keep the distance setting that's set when switching the camera off or on.
Sharpen your eyes not your files