Storage Recommendation for Raw Files of either 3FR or 3F

Previous topic - Next topic

Faithwell

Fairly new to using X2D 100C since few months ago and having huge storage for my exiting 3FR files. Understand from most of our members, normally they would store only 3F files which is about slightly more than half the size of 3FR. Most probably I would follow the majority. Would like to hear from our members how do you store your 3F files separately either in dedicated hard discs, home server or others. Thanks in advance.

boojum

Storage is really cheap these days.  A 4TB external HD is < $150, and an external 4 TB SSD is < $250.  Lens filters can cost more.  FWIW I store them as they come out of the camera, 3FR and JPG.  Always both are stored.
Elpis

Whitten

yeah, I am using reputable SSD external drives (Lacie, Sandisk). You can buy cheaper basic hard drives (like a Western Digital My Passport). If it's an important series of FFR I would probably store them on a My Passport as well as a good SSD.

MGrayson

Original card (I never reformat them), two local HD backups, a home server backup, and a cloud backup. Storage is cheap.

Matt

tenmangu81

.3FR files on an external SSD, the .fff files and a copy of their catalogue on my pictures drive (4TB Samsung SSD), a copy of all on a 8TB HD and on my Apple Mac Time Machine.
Robert

Larsb

I also store the original raw .3FR file and the JPG (which I mostly use for faster preview of the image).  I store the images on an external 4TB SSD, copy them to another 8TB external SSD, and then also archive them on a 16TB Hard Disk (Western Digital).  I saw a number of YouTube videos about what is the best long term storage medium, and while it said that all had issues, in one respect or another, the best long term (commonly available) storage medium is still Hard Disk.   I'm about to buy another 22TB Hard disk for a second HDD copy, and then I think I should be covered (except for theft or some other location issue).
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

JCM-Photos

redundant formats storage as well as storages without embedded post is for me waste of time storage space and not easy to manage.

3FR files have no utility when they don't embed post (I don't use post in Phocus Mobile 2)
fff files are very important to be stored with a backup as they embed RAW post as well as different images versions. (after fff conversion and storage 3FR's are discarded)
Phocus exported TIFF files  are discarded as they embed nothing and can be re-exported from fff if needed
TIFF's after post are saved with a backups as AFPHOTO Affinity files (or PSD for phptoshop users).
Final JPEG's or TIFF's can be re-generated without loosing anything from fff + AFPHOTO (PSD)

And that's all what is needed to secure my complete workflow. This "less is more" policy has proved robust as I have had a HDD total crash and had no loss.
I also don't mix asset management and image files treatment as I work on a project management basis and not image bank management.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

fcarucci

This is how I store all my work. Once set up, it doesn't require any intervention for a 3-2-1 backup strategy.

https://carucci.photography/blogs/blog/how-i-store-and-backup-my-photography

Patrick CM

Quote from: fcarucci on December 31, 2023, 07:37:37 PM
This is how I store all my work. Once set up, it doesn't require any intervention for a 3-2-1 backup strategy.

I too, use a Synology Disc Station on my NAS. Not quite so large, a DS923+ with 14Tb

Iceman1331

Quote from: MGrayson on December 31, 2023, 12:25:13 AM
Original card (I never reformat them), two local HD backups, a home server backup, and a cloud backup. Storage is cheap.

Matt
Ditto for me too. I always leave all my photo files in my SD cards and never reformat them. Besides, I store one copy in my SSD cards as well. If the files are so important to me such as wedding or once in a life time events, I store them in the DVD R hard disc also as my 3rd backup. Look for the archive type DVD disc for permanent storage which some said could last for 50 years.

Georg Kovalcik

Well, leaving it on the SD card(s), that is the most expensive kind of storage, no? What I find important is to have at least 3 redundant copies of important data. All types of storage can and will fail at some point in time.

JCM-Photos

Leaving them on the SD cards, archive them like films with a contact print ;D

fcarucci

Quote from: PCM on December 31, 2023, 11:07:42 PM
Quote from: fcarucci on December 31, 2023, 07:37:37 PM

I too, use a Synology Disc Station on my NAS. Not quite so large, a DS923+ with 14Tb

What I love of this set up is that once configured, it requires zero manual intervention and it works from anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection. Both my Lightroom catalog AND my images are backed up automatically and all backups are kept for a year in three different places. And I don't move a finger to make it happen, neither my wife (who is not technical).

The only way to ensure you have your important data backed up is to not having to do it manually.

I can't count how many times it saved my bacon. My Lightroom catalog is 15 years old.

mar-ko

Quote from: Faithwell on December 30, 2023, 03:38:14 PMUnderstand from most of our members, normally they would store only 3F files which is about slightly more than half the size of 3FR. Most probably I would follow the majority.

I only keep 3F (.fff) files.

From the Hasselblad Phocus User Manual:

»Q. What's the difference between 3FR and 3F files? Should I keep them all?

A. A 3FR file is the native raw file created by Hasselblad cameras and remains in that format when stored on a CF card. When loaded into Phocus, however, various corrections take place based on the hardware configuration of the camera used. This processes the 3FR file into a 3F format file and creates a high quality preview (size according to settings in Preferences). As this is an improved and specifically-tuned file, the original 3FR file can be discarded. You may, of course, export 3F files to TIFF, PSD, JPEG etc., and just keep those but if you have the space, retaining the 3F files could be good insurance to be able to re-process sometime in the future.«

JCM-Photos

Storage of 3FR isn't necessary, as fff's have all possible possibilities including opening them with vintage Hasselblad digital RAW engine V1 or V2 in place of the V3 engine at any moment, including creating a V1 export after a V3 and going back after it.

Capture One doesn't give this opportunity, once a RAW file has been opened with a newer RAW engine, it is not possible going back after that.

Phocus V1 engine makes it possible going back to a CCD time like rendering (even with a modern Cmos file) it fits so nicely to some portraits or glamour pictures.

Even an already in Phocus Mobile 2 processed 3FR file can be imported in Phocus Destop as a fff containing the existing 3FR processing (or not at your choice) and after further processing in Phocus desktop, the original 3FR processing can be retrieved in the fff file history.

I don't see any reason filing 3FR's