Future Positioning of XCD Ecosystem

Previous topic - Next topic

o2mpx

A question to experienced XCD forum members who own the original XCD lenses and also adding the new V series lenses:

There seems to be general observations the new lenses 28/38/55/90 etc are not as sharp in the corners wide open compared to the original lenses. Also heard perhaps HB is focusing on street vs landscape photography with the new lenses, along with weight savings, perhaps compromising sharpness and resolution.

If there's truth to this story, with HB discontinuing the original XCD lenses, what's the viable approach to take when assembling a lens collection? Keep both series and use the new for street and when weight is important, but carry the full complement when landscapes and resolutions are the priority?

Very interested in the perspective of long term XCD experts on this forum. Thank you.

MGrayson

Quote from: o2mpx on December 28, 2023, 11:57:56 AM

with HB discontinuing the original XCD lenses,

Has HB said anything to this effect?

Bob Foster

Quote from: MGrayson on December 28, 2023, 02:55:45 PM

Hasselblad? No! Their marketing has become the dark matter of the camera universe.  But I too have wondered if there has been a paradigm shift insofar as lens optical design is concerned as well as the obvious electro-mechanical design changes in the newer lenses.

Having managed and owned small businesses for years I do understand the necessity for making sound decisions and wisely controlling investment and expenditure. Recently, however, I'm getting the sense that some dealers, let alone customers, have become somewhat frustrated with Hasselblad's opaque approach to marketing, and with allowance made for their small size, product delivery. I earnestly hope that the recent cut backs in sales and service staffing worldwide do not prove to be counterproductive over time.

Other than to note that perhaps you may want to try new lenses before you purchase, you alone will have to determine what lenses you need, what lenses you simply want, and what lenses are not useful for your purposes. Late model (orange dot) Hasselblad HC and HCD lenses function essentially as native XCD lenses with the appropriate adapters. I'll also remark that the X2D is capable of producing good results with many Mamiya and Pentax MF lenses, a few full frame lenses, and, of course, many of those large format type lenses that were designed for use with digital sensors (as well as some earlier LF lenses) provided that the need to use manual focus and electronic shutter do not constitute an impediment to your needs.

Bob

MGrayson

Quote from: Bob Foster on December 28, 2023, 08:18:18 PM
Quote from: MGrayson on December 28, 2023, 02:55:45 PM

Hasselblad? No! Their marketing has become the dark matter of the camera universe.  But I too have wondered if there has been a paradigm shift insofar as lens optical design is concerned as well as the obvious electro-mechanical design changes in the newer lenses.

Having managed and owned small businesses for years I do understand the necessity for making sound decisions and wisely controlling investment and expenditure. Recently, however, I'm getting the sense that some dealers, let alone customers, have become somewhat frustrated with Hasselblad's opaque approach to marketing, and with allowance made for their small size, product delivery. I earnestly hope that the recent cut backs in sales and service staffing worldwide do not prove to be counterproductive over time.

Other than to note that perhaps you may want to try new lenses before you purchase, you alone will have to determine what lenses you need, what lenses you simply want, and what lenses are not useful for your purposes. Late model (orange dot) Hasselblad HC and HCD lenses function essentially as native XCD lenses with the appropriate adapters. I'll also remark that the X2D is capable of producing good results with many Mamiya and Pentax MF lenses, a few full frame lenses, and, of course, many of those large format type lenses that were designed for use with digital sensors (as well as some earlier LF lenses) provided that the need to use manual focus and electronic shutter do not constitute an impediment to your needs.

Bob

I always prefer a native lens to an adapted one for a variety of compatibility reasons. Even the XCD 135/2.8 +/- 1.7X, with its weight and tendency to focus on the wrong thing.

Having said that, I have adapted lenses from many brands. HC lenses work ok, but they are heavy and slower to focus. I wish I hadn't gotten the 150/2.8, and the 100/2.2 is not likely to see much use either. Mamiya 645 lenses are small, light, and (except for the 50mm shift) very sharp. The 120 Macro (a true 1:1) and the 300/5.6 (small and light) get frequent use. I have Pentax 67 lenses that I seldom use (400/4 ED-IF anyone? Ugh!). The Zeiss V-mount lenses are very worthwhile. The 110/2, 250/5.6 SA and 350/5.6 SA are often on the camera. I never understood the urge to use Leica M glass on a larger sensor. Engineers spent a lot of time getting the image right *inside* the designed image circle. Outside that, all bets are off.  I still have the 35, 50, and 75 Crons, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I would get a wide TS lens for the X2D, as the Canon 24 is just not up to the task. I got out of the GFX system, and I sure don't want to go back (wait, WHICH button do I press again to unlock the shutter speed?). The XCD 21 with keystone corrections will just have to do. I'd also jump on a native 24mm prime, even if it was "only" as good as the 28P.

Matt

flash

I do think HB are prioritising lighter lenses but I'm not so sure about optical comprised lenses for the V's.

Certainly, you lose nothing from the new 90 versus the 3.2. The new 90V is at least as good in the corners as the older lens. I'm also seeing little compromises in the 28P, if we compare it to the 30, which is closest in the older glass. The 28 is excellent at f8 in the corners.

So that leaves the 38 and 55. It is true that the corners never catch up to the centre. It's also true that *some* of the original XCD glass is superior optically in the corners, but not all. So far, from my personal testing, with the single copy of each lens I have, I've found that the V lenses are better in the corners at distance.

I do think the older 65 is better than the newer 55 but since the 65 is like carrying a small bowling ball I never carry it in preference to the 55. The 45P can be better than the 38 in the corners but I think the 38 is better in the centre and the corners improve at distance.

If landscapes are the goal, I'd not carry any of the primes in the range of the 37-75 zoom, old or new. The zoom is by far the better lens for landscapes. To that I'd add the 21, 28, 90 and 135 without hesitation. For travel and street where weight matters more I REALLY like the new lenses. There I tend to shoot wider and closer, so corner perfection is less of an issue. Even so if I do stop down the corners of the 38 and 55 are fine, even if they don't quite keep up to some of the other lenses. The performance in AF and usability is miles ahead of the older glass, generally. I did a direct comparison between the 55 and the Leica APO Summicron SL on an SL2 and there's more detail in the HB files. The Leica lens is certainly better but as a system the HB holds more detail at any shooting distance. To me that's all that mattered.

1st shot with the 55. 2nd with the 28. No corner issues at all here.

Gordon

David Mantripp

Well that's a relief. I mainly do landscape with the X1D, and I've got the zoom, 21, 28, 90 and 135  ;D

Oh. And the 45. Oh well nobody's perfect.

tenmangu81

Quote from: David Mantripp on December 30, 2023, 09:20:31 AM
Well that's a relief. I mainly do landscape with the X1D, and I've got the zoom, 21, 28, 90 and 135  ;D

Oh. And the 45. Oh well nobody's perfect.

David, how do you prevent any magenta cast with your XCD28P on the X1D ? Do you observe it ?
Thanks
Robert