fixing color space mistake

Previous topic - Next topic

Plancton06

I saved many tiff16 files from photoshop without clicking the "embed color profile" check box. They were originally Hasselblad RGB when they came from phocus.
They images now look dull and it seems PS saved them in srgb.
Is there a way to quickly fix them to look as originally edited ?
Does ps always exports as SRGB if one forgets to check the "embed the color profile" checkbox?

tenmangu81

Quote from: Plancton06 on December 21, 2023, 09:19:56 PM
I saved many tiff16 files from photoshop without clicking the "embed color profile" check box. They were originally Hasselblad RGB when they came from phocus.
They images now look dull and it seems PS saved them in srgb.
Is there a way to quickly fix them to look as originally edited ?
Does ps always exports as SRGB if one forgets to check the "embed the color profile" checkbox?

All depends upon the colour profile you choose when opening your files. I suggest you carefully read and set the window Edit -> Colors.
Robert

CedV

There's no coming back from a smaller colour space. If the image was saved without a profile, and not converted into anything else, it may be saved when you assign the correct profile. In that case the dull appearance will only be a simulation. If, however, it was actually saved as sRGB, thus translating all the out-of-gamut colours into their sRGB equivalent (this depends on the conversion method), all the information from your original colour space is lost. It's like translating a text into a language with a smaller vocabulary, you lose some words. Photoshop cannot 'invent' those colours back into the image. Well actually, it can invent nowadays with AI, but that's a different story.

You should adjust the general colour settings as mentioned. Either in individual programs like PS, LR, ... or for the whole Adobe ecosystem via Bridge.

JCM-Photos

When you export from Phocus you save in 16bit TIFF Adobe RGB
In Photoshop you open the Phocus TIFF and you save it as a psd and don't save anything in the original TIFF.
If the 16bit TIFF has een accidentely altered you reopen the fff file and make a new TIFF export
Sharpen your eyes not your files