Travelling to Torres del Paine National Park in Chile

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman1331

I am travelling to the Torres del Paine National Park in Chile in Mid-Jan 2024. What xcd lenses should I bring for this beautiful lndscape photography? An xcd 21 mm or 28p lenses?

grotte

My most used lens was XCD90. Funny, no? But all the vistas are far away. Even if you are in the middle of it. The place is so vast. Unless you climb up to the alpine lakes, the foreground is dull: just some grey brush. You'll be lucky to find the proverbial horned skull to frame around.

Patrick CM

Quote from: Iceman1331 on December 20, 2023, 05:32:22 PM
I am travelling to the Torres del Paine National Park in Chile in Mid-Jan 2024. What xcd lenses should I bring for this beautiful lndscape photography? An xcd 21 mm or 28p lenses?

I was in the area in November for 10 days or so. Spectacularlarly scenic ...  glaciers are especially magnificent. Saw lots of birds, bit little else. I was on an expedition ship. Something equivalent to an FX 22-120mm will be all you need.IMHO

MGrayson

Went in 2007. Canon 5D, 24-105 @24mm. 6 second exposure, camera resting on window sill. It's VERY windy at that latitude, so I brought a zoom so as to never change lenses.

Moonrise

Iceman1331

Thx for everyone's input. I don't have any xcd telephoto lenses beyond the 45 mm f 3.5, but I will possibly bring my xcd 21 mm together with a Sony Alpha camera with a 18-135 mm zoom lens in case I need extra closeup shots. I will be visiting Lake Sarmiento to see Paine Massif, then Laguna Amarga, and across Lake Nordenskjold to see Cuernos del Paine, and to visit the Salto Grande Waterfall before arriving at Cerro Castillo, among other itineraries. I have read that Jan-Feb is the summer in Chile but it may be windy and raining in where I am heading to. Any feedback will be appreciated.

hborowski

Quote from: grotte on December 20, 2023, 05:43:22 PM
My most used lens was XCD90. Funny, no? But all the vistas are far away. Even if you are in the middle of it. The place is so vast. Unless you climb up to the alpine lakes, the foreground is dull: just some grey brush. You'll be lucky to find the proverbial horned skull to frame around.

... andean lakes ...

polychloros

Quote from: hborowski on December 24, 2023, 01:15:58 AM

... andean lakes ...

Alpine in this context is a generic term (especially when written uncapitalised as in the sentence you quoted). It is perfectly correct to refer to alpine lakes or alpine flora in Chile or New Zealand or Colorado.

jwillson

I was there a few years back (before the X series Hasselblads) and found my most used lens in 35mm format was a 90mm. Most of the more obvious compositions are telephoto shots. I also got a few memorable shots with a 50mm. I had one decent shot with a 21mm, but that was when I hiked up to one of the alpine lakes. So, if you own the 135, bring it. If not, a 90mm. There were some interesting shots of guanacos, mountain lions, condors, and eagles, but I didn't have the focal length for those. Would have needed 400mm equivalent or better.

doc steel

This is really a very amateurish question and would have been expected in a Fuji or Sony forum.
In such a case, I always answer that you need the same lenses here as you do for Brazil, Mallorca or Norway.  ;D

Patrick CM

Quote from: doc steel on January 26, 2024, 03:21:54 AM
This is really a very amateurish question and would have been expected in a Fuji or Sony forum.
In such a case, I always answer that you need the same lenses here as you do for Brazil, Mallorca or Norway.  ;D
Totally disagree.  Not every park is identical. I asked the same question. I've been to the Arctic, Antarctica and all over. Western Greenland is different to the eastern side. Some national parks are great for eagles, others for bears or penguins. Research is key. Asking from a like minded group is perfectly sensible. Instead of being rude, either offer something useful, or don't comment,

NickT

Quote from: doc steel on January 26, 2024, 03:21:54 AM

I disagree completely, this is not an amateurish question at all, in fact if I was heading to any of these destinations I would welcome input from people who have been there.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

doc steel

I accept your opinion. But that doesn't mean it has to be my own opinion.
Despite everything, the question, as asked, can be seen as amateurish.
The question would make sense if I had 20 to 30 different lenses to choose from and there were some special ones among them.
But how many lenses do you have to choose? 3-5 only?
Take the same lenses as you choose for landscape(*) if you will take photos from the landscape(*).

The (*) asterisk represents any topic and can be used above.

NickT

Quote from: doc steel on January 26, 2024, 09:42:30 PM

But how much lenses do you have to choose? 3-5 only?

I presume you mean "how many"; much comes across as amateurish...
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

hborowski

Quote from: polychloros on January 03, 2024, 12:18:08 PM

... andean lakes ...

Alpine in this context is a generic term (especially when written uncapitalised as in the sentence you quoted). It is perfectly correct to refer to alpine lakes or alpine flora in Chile or New Zealand or Colorado.

Here in South America we call "andinistas" those who climb the majestic Andes and not "alpinistas".

The saying "Where you go, do what you see" is used when you travel to a place with different culture and, as a principle of education, one must adapt to that place. It implies, therefore, observation, respect and adaptability.

This saying teaches one of the best lessons of coexistence between people of different cultures, based on the principle of respect. It's a way of life and in this way in our photographs we can capture the soul of the place.

polychloros

Quote from: hborowski on January 28, 2024, 03:51:30 PM
Quote from: polychloros on January 03, 2024, 12:18:08 PM

... andean lakes ...

Here in South America we call "andinistas" those who climb the majestic Andes and not "alpinistas".

The saying "Where you go, do what you see" is used when you travel to a place with different culture and, as a principle of education, one must adapt to that place. It implies, therefore, observation, respect and adaptability.

This saying teaches one of the best lessons of coexistence between people of different cultures, based on the principle of respect. It's a way of life and in this way in our photographs we can capture the soul of the place.

The reference was to lakes not climbers. You have alpine lakes, alpine flora and fauna, etc. in South America whether you like it or not. It's not a question of respecting cultures or the "soul of the place" it just happens to be the correct term for the type of habitat.

But go ahead call it what you like, we live in an increasingly tedious world of the perennially offended nowadays.