Best X2D iPad only workflow

Previous topic - Next topic

Plancton06

I need advice for IPAD only workflow. I use it some times when traveling extralight.

I know the best is to import from camera to Phocus, but I often need to fix perspective for architectural photos with precision. To my knowledge Phocus for iPhone or iPad still doesn't have any form of keystone or perspective correction. Lightroom for IPAD is excellent and very precise for perspective correction (it is possible to draw guidelines with the pen, which is by far the most precise and quick way to fix perspective with precision, even better than photoshop) (it is also available inside adobe camera raw)

The problem: It seems like there are way too many exports / imports, perhaps leaving multiple files hidden in the iPad and taking way too much space?
First import the file to Phocus, then export tiff 16bits to Lightroom and finally export tiff 16bit from Lightroom to the iPad file system or dropbox.
What is the most efficient way to do this? in a Mac I can import with Phocus to a hard drive, export tiff to that same drive and save all further edits on this file.

Besides having the terrible and basic keystone in Phocus for Mac, are there other reasons to skip the iPad entirely?

Finally, I also see that when the camera is connected to the iPad it is possible to send the file straight to Lightroom from Phocus without importing (using the UP button instead of the Down button), would that compromise the Hasselblad colorspace?
Too many questions :) but I would really like to simplify the workflow and love Lightroom's perspective correction (Hasselblad please implement something similar in Phocus)

Patrick CM

I use Affinity Photo on my iMac and on my iPad. It does have a Perspective tool.
I'm afraid I don't know Lr at all.

fcarucci

Quote from: Plancton06 on December 20, 2023, 12:57:05 PM

Finally, I also see that when the camera is connected to the iPad it is possible to send the file straight to Lightroom from Phocus without importing (using the UP button instead of the Down button), would that compromise the Hasselblad colorspace?
Too many questions :) but I would really like to simplify the workflow and love Lightroom's perspective correction (Hasselblad please implement something similar in Phocus)

I experimented with using Phocus mobile and then send the processed raw to LR mobile and from my (non scientific) experiments, I can't see any drop in quality. It looks doable to me for critical work while traveling.

Plancton06

Thanks, would that create three files?   1 the import to phocus mobile, 2 the import to lightroom 3 the final export ? A lot of clean up to do afterwards

JCM-Photos

My iPad only workflow is based on Phocus Mobile + Affinity Photo; this combo has Desktop level possibilities
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Patrick CM

Quote from: JCM-Photos on December 22, 2023, 07:07:18 AM
My iPad only workflow is based on Phocus Mobile + Affinity Photo; this combo has Desktop level possibilities

I have Affinity Photo both on my iPad Pro and my iMac 27"

Jfraymond

I use a ipad almost exclusively these days.
Only drawback is your correct in that you end up with lots of multiple files in different places.
The key to making it a more enjoyable pain in the butt free experience is to get a good ssd.
I use a 4tb sansdisk.
My workflow goes like this 99% of the time.
Download to phocus, export 16b tiff, use lightroom/PS/affinity as you normally would, then simply copy to SSD and erase from ipad.

Patrick CM

Quote from: Jfraymond on January 01, 2024, 03:27:07 AM
My workflow goes like this 99% of the time.
Download to phocus, export 16b tiff, use lightroom/PS/affinity as you normally would, then simply copy to SSD and erase from ipad.
for X2D its EXACTLY what I do too. It used to be what I did for my Nikon, but Apple OS (Mac and iPad) can't view the raw files in their native apps. The you're used to a workflow for a dozen years its hard to change - but the reality is that instead of Photo I use Affinity Photo on the iPad.

jakontil

Ipad phocus 2 still not letting connection to X2D through USB C right? Only wifi?

Photon42

You could try it out yourself  8) But no, at least not with my iPad Pro 2020 and the X2D.

For a slightly different perspective maybe: My mobile setup is now since more than a year an M2 MacBook Air in its cheapest configuration, which was priced below my iPhone. Go figure. I have written a small script to produce backups on an external SSD, including renaming file names and putting them into folders. So far I am happy with the solution.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: jakontil on January 03, 2024, 10:43:50 PM
Ipad phocus 2 still not letting connection to X2D through USB C right? Only wifi?
With "Mobile 2" and X2D, X1DII, CFVII 50c, it's a WiFi plus Bluetooth connection together (that's why the X1D without bluetooth isn't compatible), WiFi is for file transfers and bluetooth for commands.
with the X1D all goes over WiFi and "Mobile" that can't process 3FR files.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Patrick CM

Quote from: Photon42 on January 05, 2024, 12:52:07 AM
You could try it out yourself  8) But no, at least not with my iPad Pro 2020 and the X2D.

For a slightly different perspective maybe: My mobile setup is now since more than a year an M2 MacBook Air in its cheapest configuration, which was priced below my iPhone. Go figure. I have written a small script to produce backups on an external SSD, including renaming file names and putting them into folders. So far I am happy with the solution.

You're the first person I've seen to use a script this way. Would you care to share please?

jakontil

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 05, 2024, 05:18:03 AM
Quote from: jakontil on January 03, 2024, 10:43:50 PM
With "Mobile 2" and X2D, X1DII, CFVII 50c, it's a WiFi plus Bluetooth connection together (that's why the X1D without bluetooth isn't compatible), WiFi is for file transfers and bluetooth for commands.
with the X1D all goes over WiFi and "Mobile" that can't process 3FR files.

Hi JCM, that means connecting through usb c is still not possible right now? Like tethering and transferring into phocus 2 mobile?

I m aware i could still transfer to external SSD using my ipad, but phocus 2 wont recognize my X2D through usb C cable

jakontil

Quote from: Photon42 on January 05, 2024, 12:52:07 AM

Hi photon, yeah i figured thought something is wrong with my X2D, since i used my mbair M2 too for communicating with it and i prefer that way, may be felt more robust in a way?