XCD lenses were previously made by Nittoh - who makes them now?

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkN

The original XCD lenses were made by Nittoh in Japan for Hasselblad - as confirmed by this 2017 article:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/hasselblad-x1d-photography-manufacturing

I read that the V and P lenses are made by another company, possibly Panasonic, but it would suggest that Hasselblad changed lens suppliers.  I wonder who makes the newer XCD lenses?

Are the original XCD lenses still being manufactured by Nittoh, or is Hasselblad relying on pre-existing stock of those before eventually replacing them with newer V, P or E lenses as they run out stock?

A lens road map would be very useful.

marcwick

@MarkN : I totally agree with the road map. I am always tempted to buy the zoom, but maybe there will be a new one? I am sure that the day after I bought the 35-75, there will be a successor!

ashdown

All lenses are built to Hasselblad's designs and specifications but the new lens manufacturer is unconfirmed. Like most components they are made in batches and Hasselblad appear to be using up their final stock of the Nittoh built lenses with models being removed from sale one at a time as stock dries up.

JCM-Photos

My original X1D camera is not compatible with the new XCD/V lenses (no more firmware update)

My 907X (as the X1DII I guess) became a firmware update for XCD/V lenses
Sharpen your eyes not your files

mmanesh

I also believe the supplier if Panasonic but do not have proof at hand.
That said, a lens roadmap would have possibly kept me with the brand :-(

SrMi

Quote from: mmanesh on January 02, 2024, 04:16:24 AM

I never cared for manufacturer's roadmaps as I buy systems for the currently available lenses and cameras and not for promised items

JCM-Photos

Quote from: SrMi on January 02, 2024, 07:02:08 AM

I never cared for manufacturer's roadmaps as I buy systems for the currently available lenses and cameras and not for promised items
The problem today is that we don't know what's currently available as many items are listed in backorder

I guess the main problem with the XCD lenses is today the availability of the shutter/aperture block that was common with the discontinued H lenses and in house built by Hasselblad in Sweden.
Probably Shutter/aperture blocks of P and V series XCD lenses are no more Hasselblad parts.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 02, 2024, 09:07:39 AM
Quote from: SrMi on January 02, 2024, 07:02:08 AM

The problem today is that we don't know what's currently available as many items are listed in backorder

I guess the main problem with the XCD lenses is today the availability of the shutter/aperture block that was common with the discontinued H lenses and in house built by Hasselblad in Sweden.
Probably Shutter/aperture blocks of P and V series XCD lenses are no more be Hasselblad parts.

I agree that the limited availability of lenses that are supposed to be in production is a problem.
Edit: similar lens availability issues have been encountered with Leica, Nikon, and Olympus. I waited longer on my Leica and Olympus lenses than on my Hasselblad lenses.

Patrick CM

Don't forget that there's been a global shortage of components, especially electronics, that has affected every industry, photographic, automobiles, white goods, you name it.
Road maps could be useful, but are also a frustration.