filters on Hasselblad lenses with small front element ( 28p -45p)

Previous topic - Next topic

Plancton06

I have not tested yet, but I wonder if one should expect degraded image quality when using filters, including simple UV filters, on the Hasselblad lenses that have a particularly small front element, such as the 28p.
I don't have evidence, but I would imagine that the very small front element in the 28p could have trouble with oblique light after passing through the filter's plane. It could be that these lenses might require very high quality filters not to suffer from image degradation. I imagine this is worse in these wide angles than it would be in a tele.
Can anyone report on success using filter on the 28p?

vitdev

I have Hasselblad (NP and polarized) filters for 2.5/55 and didn't notice degradation (although it has pretty big front element that is concave). I'm still waiting for 4/28 that I ordered a while ago, apparently it's coming only next year at this point 😞

Why do you use UV filter on 28? Is it to avoid dirt or to protect the lens from physical damage? I feel like it's quite unlikely to accidentally damage it with normal use. And UV filters do affect optical quality a little bit on any lens.

Bob Foster

Assuming the use of a high quality filter the biggest issue I've had over the years with wide angle lenses and filters has been vignetting. However, due to the fact that the bodies/filter ring diameter  of all of the XCD wide angle lenses are much larger then the front element of the lenses this has not been an issue for me. I suspect that you'll have to do some extreme pixel peeping to see problems related to refraction problems.

Living in Oklahoma, U.S.A. is to live with wind and dust. Each lens that is likely to be used outside of my studio when using a digital camera is equipped with a high quality clear protection type filter. The only consistent exception to this that I make is if the subject happens to be a deep violet (not purple). There, if conditions allow, I'll remove the protective filter.

I do still shoot film on occasion. There, due to the sensitivity of most emulsions to UV, under conditions where there is an unusually bright sky, or if I have traveled to a mountainous area I may elect to replace the clear filter with a UV filter.

Overall, my take on filters is to use them when needed with the qualification that to me it makes no sense to spend $/£/€ XXXX on a lens and put a cheap filter in front of it!

Bob