XCD 90v 2.5 Shutter Sound

Previous topic - Next topic

iainPS

I have been very fortunate to get hold of a 90v lens today, first impressions are that it is, as expected, quite fantastic in terms of IQ and focus speed etc. I'm really impressed so far using it on an x2d firmware 3...

I am however quite shocked at the shutter noise ... by far the loudest lens of any that I own (55v, 21f4, 135 and 45p). Is this normal? Does anyone have any experience to share on shutter sound?

pdprinter

did you update the lens firmware? Somewhat more quite but the only absolutely quite lens I have is 28P, sometimes I am even second-guessing if I took the image or if it was on electronic shutter.

iainPS

No ... I assumed it would be up to date though as it must have come from Hasselblad in the last week or so. I will check that. Thanks

iainPS

I did indeed need to update the firmware... thanks for the advice

The shutter is still pretty loud compared to other XCD lenses, at least my copy is. I have read on other sites that this seems to be the norm. It's not an unpleasant sound, I was just a bit surprised at the level. Not something that would dissuade me from the lens. I was just worried it might be ann abnormal/faulty copy ... seems like that's not the case.

Lovely lens though, very much looking forward to getting some use out of it.

Thanks again for your advice.

JCM-Photos

Did they went back to the older noisy H shutter that also equiped the original X lenses series ?
Because H shutters proved being 1/4000s capable on the A6 camera.

As far as I know P and V series X lenses no more have the legacy H shutters.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

giampo

Hello from Italy.

I've just received my 90v. A couple of hours ago.

And I was just about to write here on the same argue. Also my leaf shutter is soooooooooooo much louder compared to the 28 and 55v lens that I own.
So much louder and strong that I would say that my copy also make the all body shake when acivates.

I've asked Hasselblas about that. I will write whote they will answer.

UPDATE: I've just updated the firmware. From 1.4.7 to 1.4.9. And I would say that nothing has changed on the loudness.

iainPS

Having used the lens a little out and about ... it doesn't seem quite so loud out in the field. When I first tried the lens, it was inside at my office and for sure it is louder but I don't think it's a problem in reality. Like you, I was just taken aback by the sound level and thought it must cause lots of vibration. I was concerned that it was abnormal or faulty in some way, however in use it seems to be totally fine. It's just a bit different to the others. The images I'm getting from it are wonderful, full of detail, sharp, rich colours and lovely bokeh... exactly what I was hoping for. Reading around, others have commented on the sound level too, but I've not seen anything to suggest shutter vibration being an issue in use. I'm feeling quite relaxed about it now. Looking forward to really using it going forward.
Thanks for all the comments above, really helpful to talk it through a bit.

JCM-Photos

The leaf shutters in H ans XCD non V lenses are Hasselblad own developments and manufacturing in Sweden. They were/are sent as complete units from Sweden to Japan Fuji for H and Nittoh for XCD, for lenses assembly.
These units are made in 3 sizes matching all lens sized of the 3 series and are extremely loud. The loudest are the biggest that have 2 leaf drive magnets for example in the XCD80 that has also 2 AF motors to move the heavy glass.

The situation changed with the launch of the 45P pancake, this shutter is quite completely silent and this lens also runs on a completely different firmware. This pancake leaf shutter is tiny and it is obvious that different sizes of larger leaf shutters of this type had to be developed for the new XCD V line. Probably these shutters are made in Japan what brings a drastic price reduction with no more shipping around the world.
But it seem "normal" that bigger size of the new shutter type can also be louder.

Sharpen your eyes not your files

pdprinter

The most quiet shutter I have ever not heard (including any leaf shutter made in the last century) is the one used in the 28P and in the promo on the Hasselblad website they show it is made quite different from any other as it consist only of 2 blades with a single hinge. Obviously that design was not used in the 90V.