Super wide angle for X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Happy user of an X2D/XCD38V set, we lack a very wide angle for landscapes.
If some experiences with very wide lenses of one brand or another (18mm or even wider) can be shared...
(the 0.3" of scanning of the sensor in electronic shutter does not bother us for these images on stands)
(We still have an M11/18mm M F3.8 set but we would also like to use the X2D of course.)
See you soon,
Alain (from France)

JCM-Photos

The non cropped field of view of the XCD21 is roughly equivalent to a 18mm in full frame.
The FOV of the HCD24 plus 0.8 X converter is even a tad larger.

When fish eye perpective doesn't bother the Nikkor fish eye zoom is excellent when the electric aperture has been blocked at f:16 on a Nikon body prior to the Hasselblad use.(removing from nikon body with closed aperture without shutting off the camera)
In square crop mode on my X1D this zoom is able to fill perfectly the sensor diagonal of the 33mm square format at 180°
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Ralf

One of the best wide angle lenses ever (17mm 35mm equivalent) is the XCD 21.

For fisheye, I can also recommend a shaved fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm DX.  This mutates into a circular fisheye on the large sensor.  But should be stopped down to a medium aperture.

JCM-Photos

An example; landscape Focus stacking from X1D RAW automatic Phocus stacking shooting and XCD21.
Startet at infinity AF focusing,  and about 20 frames some out of focus near frames discarded.
RAW's developped in Phocus and exported as 16bit TIFF's then stack treated in Helicon.

The whole high res image is insanely sharp, from less then 2 feet to infinity, in center as well as in corners

JCM-Photos

Examples of what is possible with the Nikkor fish Eye Zoom

zoomed out to fill the Hasselblad frame with a circular fish eye image

zoomed in to fill the Hasselblad in camera square crop image diagonal

ALAIN

Thank you very much for these suggestions and nice photos !
I also practice focus stacking for close-up photography (often with cross-polarized lighting), but not yet enough in landscape. I'll think about it now ;)
Ah, an XCD21 would be very logical but a little too redundant with the M11/18mm set which already gives excellent results. I would prefer even wider on the X2D.
We'll see as opportunities arise.
Best Regards,
Alain (from France)

Ralf

Quote from: JCM-Photos on December 09, 2023, 05:55:30 AM
Examples of what is possible with the Nikkor fish Eye Zoom

zoomed out to fill the Hasselblad frame with a circular fish eye image

zoomed in to fill the Hasselblad in camera square crop image diagonal

The 8-15 seems to be significantly sharper at the edge than the 10.5.  Well, 10.5 is actually calculated for APS-C.

JCM-Photos

I own all 3 modern Nikkor fish eye lenses

The 10.5 gave catastrophic results at the launch as I bought it with very large chromatic aberration seams on the D100. It's only later that the problem was corrected with better sensor microlenses and software corrections for ex. on the D2x. I have a lot of fine image taken with the D2x and 10.5

The old 16 AFD is really very good on FF DSLR cameras like D3X D800E I had in the past.

The newest zoom 8-15 is perfect and super versatile with circular image to rectangular on APS-C and FF I use it on a D850.
I use it also on the Hasselblad X system as it can be zoomed to fill the frame with a circular image and gives nice filled square crop with 180° diagonal.
In my cupboard this zoom is on the Hasselblad shelf always equipped with a Hasselblad X adapter and with fixed F:16 aperture (the aperture can only be changed and blocked on a Nikon body)

Ralf

I own several fisheye objects from Nikon and Sigma.  FX and DX, circular and full-surface, which are also very good on the respective Nikons.  Among these things, the historic Nikkor 2.8/8mm.  That's why I had avoided the 8-15 until now.  Now I have ordered one.  More for the X2D than the Nikons.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Ralf

The electronic aperture on the Nikkor 8-15 is pretty ugly.  Have you tested which aperture provides the optimal sharpness?  Usually it is closer to aperture 8 or 11 instead of 16.

Ralf

Quote from: JCM-Photos on December 10, 2023, 05:03:31 AM
.... (the aperture can only be changed and blocked on a Nikon body)

Sorry, I have to ask: how can you fix the electronic aperture on the 8-15 so that the lens remembers it even after unlocking?  My 8-15 switches to full aperture when I take it off the Nikon.

Ralf

I got it.

You set the desired aperture on a Nikon body with the lens attached, press the depth of field button and then the lens release - without releasing the depth of field button and turning off the camera - and take off the optics.  Who thinks up shit like that?  I miss the good old aperture mechanism

Ralf

What can I say, the 8-15mm will leave me again.  I wouldn't gain much over the 10.5mm.  Some sharpness in the extreme edge area and fewer CAs.  I would lose the ability to control the aperture via the adapter, compactness and just under €1000.  Conclusion: the 8-15mm goes away and the shaved Nikkor Fisheye 2.8/10.5mm DX is kept in honor.

ALAIN

Hello,
I'm still looking for a very wide angle with the X2D, or with the M11 (the 18mm M is not yet wide enough for my needs), and I see this (DP review):
Officially announced: new Laowa 10mm f/2.8 Full Frame AF for Sony E, Leica L, Nikon Z, Canon RF
I don't really know what the quality is like but it already seems that the images are quite rectangular.
As it is only intended for mirrorless, it will not be possible to mount it on either the X2D or the M11... too bad!
If new ideas come along... ;)
Happy New Year to all,
Alain (from France)

ALAIN

Good morning,
My need is becoming clearer: I will need a very wide lens (FF 14mm equivalent) with a large aperture (2.8 or more), to mount on an X2D.
I tested a 15mm R Leica but the vignetting is too severe, the off-center quality is too weakened and I have roughly the same usable angle with an M11/18mm Leica set.
I don't know the old Hasselblad ranges (AF not necessary), nor the adaptation possibilities on the X2D, but perhaps there would be interesting lenses and adaptations for that?
Thank you in advance for your experiences,
Alain (from France)