Should I buy the XCD 30?

Previous topic - Next topic

mikaelo67

Hi all,

I have the possibility to buy a used XCD 30mm lens very cheap for about 1200 USD. I have the 907x and the X2D camera and the 21mm and the 45P as my wide lenses. I don't really need it. But due to the price offered for the XCD 30, I kind of became interested anyway. Who knows, I might find a use for it once I own it.

A few questions:
How is the overall quality of the XCD30 mm lens? Pictures, colors, rendering and so on.
Are there any negative issues with this lens that I should know?
To me, 1200 USD sounds very cheap. Am I wrong, or is this a good buy?

Thanks for your help

Georg Kovalcik

That price is really a bargain (if the lens is in good condition). The quality of the XCD 30 is outstanding, certainly the best wide angle I have ever used.

satijntje

If you dont need the lens then 1200 is also too much.
No reason to buy it because it is cheap!
Leave it for somenbody else, so you dont loose 1200.

Ralf

I deliberately chose my lenses at 21mm, 38mm and 80mm so that 28, 30, 45, 65 and 90mm don't really make sense to me.  I would then only find the 135mm attractive, although I would rather wait for a new edition as "V" or "P", which hopefully has a faster AF and possibly also a faster shutter, similar to the 90V.  If I had the 21mm and 45mm, I would be undecided...

Georg Kovalcik

Quote from: Ralf on December 06, 2023, 08:07:02 AM
... I would rather wait for a new edition as "V" or "P" ...

Well, the new "V" lenses have on the plus side the faster af, start at 2.5 and are lighter. But then something had to give in and that is performance in the corners.
A 28P already exists, so I think it´s unlikely we will see a 30P. The 28P is half the weight and half the price of the XCD30 (when new) but not as good optically.

Eventually it´s about your preferences, lightest option (28P) or best optical quality (XCD30).

Ralf

I didn't mean a 30mm V or P but (off topic) a 135mm V or P.

MarkN

The XCD 30 is an excellent lens. 

Though I have been tempted by the lighter 28P, I get the impression that the 30mm is optically superior to its smaller, lighter, and cheaper 28P sibling.  Compromises were made with the 28P to make a small light lens optimized for street shooting.  So it all depends on how you shoot and what is important to you.

I have not been convinced that replacing my 30mm with the 28P makes sense.

mikaelo67

I just want to say thank you to you all who helped me in my decision regarding the XCD30.

I ended up buying the lens today. The box and the lens shade was missing, but the leather pouch was there. Around 900 pictures had been taken with the lens. The lens was in "almost" mint condition, no scratches or other blemishes.

I had to update the firmware, but that was easy. And due to the missing box and lens shade he gave me a discount to a price below 1000 USD.

Anyway, thank you all for your advices and I wish you all a great Christmas and a happy new year.

glaiben

Less than a grand - it was a bargain at $1200 - that's a steal.  It's a great lens - enjoy!

mmanesh

I used the lens along the older 45mm and used it more often together with the first 90mm. Both do not extrude while focussing and have brilliant image quality. Enjoy!