possibly buying x1d couple quick questions

Previous topic - Next topic

markc2

I am very close to buying this camera, can it be used handheld with that new 45 lens? I've been using a 501cm for quite a while now and I am very fond of that camera, is there anything obvious to look for, and is there a way to check shutter count easily? From what I've read the camera was very "slow" on initial release, but it seems that the firmware updates have helped on that front? I work at a library and it would be fun just to take some shots of our displays from time to time.

Thanks

Mark

glaiben

The menu easily allows one to check the shutter count on a lens.  The body doesn't care how many shots have been taken.  As to the X1D, you may want to consider the slightly more updated X1D-II.  Hasselblad is no longer providing firmware updates for the X1D and they are even getting a bit long in the tooth for the X1D-II.  H has a rather small staff and they can barely keep up with their current iterations of cameras.  Digital electronics are somewhat like VCRs - support for older models taper off rather quickly.  Unlike your 501CM which does not rely on any electronics to make it work as well as the day it was manufactured (expect for the occasional CLA).

Whitten

I recently bought an X1DII.
It is very ergonomic and quite light with the 45p lens. The images are outstanding - also with the 45p lens. And I've had modern Leica's and vintage medium format film cameras.
The autofocus is slow and quite often hunts, but mostly fine except for fast moving or dimly lit subjects.

acg69

The 45P is my go-to lens 90% of the time. It is superb optically and it couples very well with the X bodies. If 35mm (in ff terms) is your thing as it is mine, then you will be much better served by this lens than its 3.5 counterpart (weight, size, price for half a stop gain...)

As for the original X1D I agree with the idea of getting the II (or the X2D for that matter).

Quote from: markc2 on December 05, 2023, 09:15:20 AM
I am very close to buying this camera, can it be used handheld with that new 45 lens? I've been using a 501cm for quite a while now and I am very fond of that camera, is there anything obvious to look for, and is there a way to check shutter count easily? From what I've read the camera was very "slow" on initial release, but it seems that the firmware updates have helped on that front? I work at a library and it would be fun just to take some shots of our displays from time to time.

Thanks

Mark

Conner999

The X1DII is very easily handheld. The large well-shaped grip makes a big difference handholding with larger lenses. Shorter ones like either 45 are a non-effort. It's one of the best, if not the best, cameras w.r.t ergonomics I've yet owned.

My go to was our (disclaimer: for sale) X1DII with the 0.8XH and the HC80/2.8 lens, for a 54/2.2 equivalent, and it handled really no differently than the X1DII with our 45/3.5, etc. 

pflower

I was one of the first buyers of the X1D together with the XCD 45mm lens - back when they were first released in 2016. There were problems with the dials which had to be replaced under warranty.  After that I used it up until October this year - in India, Sri Lanka, Greece, all over the UK for street, landscape, general and portraits shots without a single problem.  Over 20,000 shots  and 7 years and not a single problem.  I sold it last month in order to contribute to the purchase of an X2D.  Currently in the UK companies like MPB are offering X1Ds for about £1,500.  They also offer X1Diis for about £600-£700 more.

Compared to my Sony A7riv it is certainly "slow" if you mean by reference to start up time or autofocus but for street, landscape etc. this is really not a major problem.  Start up time is a few seconds and AF is accurate and responsive and I never questioned its "slowness' in my use.  I have photographed in crowded markets in Rajasthan, Calcutta all around Athens and Amsterdam and never worried about the autofocus response. Fast enough for me.   None of the Hasselblads are going to hack it if you want to photograph your kids running about or track people walking in the streets or any sports.  But the image quality is fantastic and  I loved it.  For less than the cost of a  body of a Sony A7RV you could get a 2nd hand X1D and the 45P lens.  I never used an X1Dii but I am sure that there were significant improvements over the X1D but nothing that tempted me to upgrade. But if you can afford the X1DII then undoubtedly it would be an improvement over the original.   The X2D was another matter and I finally succombed since I now print really big and the IBIS on the X2D is a real treat.

The X1D is a fantastic camera. I am sure the X1DII is an improvement, but if your photographic needs don't require things like Eye Af, AF tracking etc either would be great.  I would suggest buying from a reputable second hand company like MPB, Park Cameras or Wex here in the UK who check the cameras over and offer a 6 month warranty.  Buying from eBay from a private buyer could be a bit of a lottery.

Either way the X1D and (although I never shot with it) the X1DII are great cameras.

bellyface

Quote from: markc2 on December 05, 2023, 09:15:20 AM

Thanks

Mark

The X1D is no slouch of a machine. I upgraded my X1D to X1DII and off the bat I noticed a few things. No longer needed the GPS unit (X1DII has it built in) Phocus was a pain to use to connect to the camera. Phocus II totally changed all that. The GPS unit mounts to the hot shoe, so using a flash was a no-no. As far as focusing, both cameras aren't so great. I use MF and set my back AF-D button to initiate AF, if I need to. The VF alone in the X1DII is a big upgrade compared to the X1D. If these 3 things are deal breakers for you, get the X1DII. If not, save the cash and get an X1D. I've seen them as low as $1800 USD.  :)