Would the 90v replace the XCD 80, and would the 28P replace the XCD 30?

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkN

I have too many lenses – I use some much more than others, and want to add two more (28P, 90v).

I regularly use the XCD 30, 38v, 55v, and 80.  I don't use the 21, 45P, or 135 (but with face detect and image stabilization the 135 might become more useable for hand-held portraits).

I shoot mostly environmental portraits, portraits, documentary projects, and urban landscape (but not nature/landscape).  I use only available light.  I moved to the XD system from many years of 4x5 film shooting with a Linhof Master Technika – either on a tripod, monopod or hand-held.  The X1dii was my first digital camera, and I replaced it with the X2D.  The results rival 4x5 film but with a different look, and the X2D is very versatile and much more portable than 4x5 with incredible low-light capability.

Back to lenses - I can spend the day – or go on a trip – with just the 38v & 55v and be happy.

I have a love hate relationship with the XCD 80 f1.9.  It takes lovely portraits but with a lot of missed focus shots wide open (but face detect should improve this) and it is a heavy beast.

So - would the 90v potentially replace the 80 f1.9 or complement it?  Would you keep both or go with just one of the two?  The 80 goes wider with razor thin DOF and lovely bokeh – when the planets align the results can be stunning.

Likewise, would the 28P replace or complement the XCD 30?  Would you keep both or go with just one?

Many thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions.

MGrayson

When I rebuilt my X system, I did not get the XCD 30, even though it was optically one of the best lenses I've used. The reason ... I don't like that focal length. But when the XCD 28P came out, it was small, light, and inexpensive enough to give it a try. It's also a bit wider, and those 2mm actually matter.

But If I already had the 30, I would not have bought the 28P.

as for the 80-90 sector, I'm fine with the old 90/3.2 and haven't seen a reason to get either of the other lenses. The 90/3.2 is fine for portraits. If I really want shallow DoF, then I can use the Zeiss 110/2 and use manual focus peaking. At least focus peaking isn't fooled by glasses!

My 2p,

Matt

Iceman1331

HB's introduction of the new V lenses has made many photographers pondering whether to keep the original X or P lenses or trade them for the newer V system, or keeping both which to me seems to be redundant and unnecessary. It is quite a difficult decision when balancing between cost, functionality, and usefulness for individual needs. As I have seen increase in the 2nd hand markets on the older lenses once newer types of lenses become available, the price of the used lenses has come down. Digital cameras and lenses are just like any electronic equipment which are constantly replaced by newer versions subject to continued innovation through R&D.

flash

The 28 has essentially replaced the 30mm for me. I lke the 28mm a lot and it complements the 55 perfectly.

Not sure yet on the 90V. The 90 3.2 didn't but my new 90V is at home and I am not for another 6 days. But I suspect mostly I'll use the 90V and the 80 for special occasions.

Also keen to see if the 135/TC utility improves with face detect.

Gordon

MarkN

Maybe the thing to do would to order both the 28P and the 90v and then see how much the XCD 30 and 80mm lenses get used - and how they all compare.  I could not have gotten away with that when I was married, but now I can :-)

vidio

If it helps I have all the above lenses and end up using the 28 and 90V more than the other two. I'm still debating whether to keep the older lenses.

MarkN

The best lenses are the ones you use, not the ones you leave at home because they are too big or too heavy despite being optically excellent.

Looking at the MTF curves the 30mm looks better than the 28P, but the 80 and 90V are closer.  It will be interesting to see the real word comparisons that will emerge.

But MTF curves are only part of a complex equation that also includes weight, balance, portability, rendering, look etc. that add up to usability.  What will you shoot with the most?

At the end of the day they are all good lenses, and your 'go to' combination is based on many factors and personal preferences as well as shooting locations and subjects.