•  X2D, Firmware downgrade possible?

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitric

Hello -

When the X2D was released, it was easy to adapt and especially to use lenses of other brands (e.g. I have a Canon 16-25 f2.8 III zoom).
With recent firmware, certain functions have (deliberately?) disappeared.
Like the ability to move the light metering point (it used to be a circle).
It's easy to see why such a function is useful.
It's a pity that Hasselblad has deliberately begun not to facilitate the use of other (third-party) lenses.
Although I understand that they prefer you to buy Hasselblad (but some lenses are simply NOT available).

Hence a few questions,
1.  Is it possible to downgrade the camera firmware?
2.  Can this be done with confidence (no potential problems after the operation)?
3.  Where can I find the old firmwares?

NB. I don't want to get into the "right/wrong" polemic about using non-Hasselblad lenses or that it's heresy to use such lenses, blah blah blah...

Thank you for your help.
Have a nice day.

- Dimitri

MGrayson

Quote from: Dimitric on November 24, 2023, 07:32:17 PM
Hello -

When the X2D was released, it was easy to adapt and especially to use lenses of other brands (e.g. I have a Canon 16-25 f2.8 III zoom).
With recent firmware, certain functions have (deliberately?) disappeared.
Like the ability to move the light metering point (it used to be a circle).
It's easy to see why such a function is useful.
It's a pity that Hasselblad has deliberately begun not to facilitate the use of other (third-party) lenses.
Although I understand that they prefer you to buy Hasselblad (but some lenses are simply NOT available).

Hence a few questions,
1.  Is it possible to downgrade the camera firmware?
2.  Can this be done with confidence (no potential problems after the operation)?
3.  Where can I find the old firmwares?

NB. I don't want to get into the "right/wrong" polemic about using non-Hasselblad lenses or that it's heresy to use such lenses, blah blah blah...

Thank you for your help.
Have a nice day.

- Dimitri

Yes. I've done it. Back and forth. No problems. Look on the Hasselblad X2D website. You may have to click "Previous Versions"

https://www.hasselblad.com/my-hasselblad/downloads/#162

Dimitric

Hey   :)

Thank you for your answer...
I downloaded and applied the firmware 1.05, but sadly enough it seems that the possibility to move the "light metering point" is definitively gone.
However, I'm quite certain that this function was available when X2D was first launched.

Thanks anyways.

- Dimitri

SMurphy

Dimitri,

There is still a way to move the light metering point, by setting exposure metering to Spot and activating "Move Focus Point" in the Focus menu.  With this setup there will be a circle for spot metering displayed around the focus point box and they will move in sync. 

I've just confirmed this with my X2D with firmware 2.0.0. 

Edit:  Of course this assumes that you want the metering tied to the focus, which might not always be the case.  If not, the automatic exposure lock button (AE-L) will hold the exposure if you reposition and refocus elsewhere.

Best,
Scott.

Dimitric

Hi Scott -

Really nice of you to reply  :)
You were right to remind us that we have to be in "spot".
So the circle reappears.

However, the "Move Focus Point" option is greyed out in my case.
So I can't move the circle and nothing seems to vary when I move my finger on the screen.
I suppose this is because I'm working with third-party lenses, right?

NB. I applied again the latest firmware 2.0.1.

- Dimitri

Quote from: SMurphy on November 26, 2023, 09:53:31 AM
Dimitri,

There is still a way to move the light metering point, by setting exposure metering to Spot and activating "Move Focus Point" in the Focus menu.  With this setup there will be a circle for spot metering displayed around the focus point box and they will move in sync. 

I've just confirmed this with my X2D with firmware 2.0.0. 

Edit:  Of course this assumes that you want the metering tied to the focus, which might not always be the case.  If not, the automatic exposure lock button (AE-L) will hold the exposure if you reposition and refocus elsewhere.

Best,
Scott.

SMurphy

Quote from: Dimitric on November 26, 2023, 08:17:24 PM
However, the "Move Focus Point" option is greyed out in my case.
So I can't move the circle and nothing seems to vary when I move my finger on the screen.
I suppose this is because I'm working with third-party lenses, right

Thanks Dimitri, happy to be help in some small way.

I mounted a third party lens and had the same result as you - seems indeed to be an issue with non-native lenses. 

And thanks for firmware note - I'd missed the latest update.

Best,
Scott.

Dimitric

Hello -

Ohhhh man... I'm excited.
This topic update is rather addressed to people who also use third party lenses.

The "light metering point" is back w/ the X2D Firmware 3.1.0
and even better the possibility to move it is again available.

Well that makes my day.

- Dimitri