General weatherproofing experiences

Previous topic - Next topic

marcwilson

Hi all,

I've been using the X1dII in the rain here in the UK recently and it's performed  flawlessley...and dried off to continue doing so.
Made me wonder how far we can push these cameras in terms of their proofing against wet / cold / humid conditions.
Any other positive or negative experiences out there?
Best,
Marc

anGy

Good to know, I didn't dare putting my X2D in such conditions already.
I wouldn't try with the new V lenses but will be less reluctant (when using an XCD lens) now !

Ikarus

I have got caught in the rain a few times over the last few weeks with my X2D and 38V.  Wiped it off.  No discernible issues.

Larsb

I also used my X2D with both the 28mmP and 38mmV lens in some light rain, here in Sydney, and there were no issues at all.   I try to avoid it, given it does not have a weather-rating, but good to know that when caught out in the rain, it's unlikely to be an issue.  Certainly better than my house (which suffered quite badly yesterday in the rain :-) ).   I think I might have to divert some funds away from buying the 90mm V lens towards fixing the roof ;-)

Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

marcwilson

Quote from: Larsb on December 01, 2023, 12:22:15 PM
I also used my X2D with both the 28mmP and 38mmV lens in some light rain, here in Sydney, and there were no issues at all.   I try to avoid it, given it does not have a weather-rating, but good to know that when caught out in the rain, it's unlikely to be an issue.  Certainly better than my house (which suffered quite badly yesterday in the rain :-) ).   I think I might have to divert some funds away from buying the 90mm V lens towards fixing the roof ;-)

Oh no...bad news about the house! Sorry.

boojum

I think that using the camera and lens in the rain can be done but why expose yourself to the risk?  And that it has worked in the past means that it will be tried again and again until it does not.  It reminds me of the old adage, "You can chew gum in church but it is not a good idea."
Elpis

MGrayson

Quote from: boojum on December 03, 2023, 09:04:09 PM
I think that using the camera and lens in the rain can be done but why expose yourself to the risk?  And that it has worked in the past means that it will be tried again and again until it does not.  It reminds me of the old adage, "You can chew gum in church but it is not a good idea."

I guess it all depends on whether or not you want pictures when it's raining. Using a camera on a windy day at the beach is also potentially bad. Or around idiots like yours truly who had a backpack strap looped through the leg of a tripod holding a tech camera and Phase One DB that wasn't mine. (The owner was very gracious. I would have killed me. Fortunately, the glass wasn't damaged, but the lens mount needed to be replaced.)

Dangers abound!

Matt

MSuser

Quote from: Larsb on December 01, 2023, 12:22:15 PM

I'm not sure why, but the XCD 28P lens actually does have an IP rating. You can find it at the very bottom of the XCD 28P FAQ page...

"What is the Ingress Protection (IP) Rating of the XCD 4/28P lens?"

"IP52."