XCD 45mm F4 vs F3.5 manual focus 'throw'

Previous topic - Next topic

marcwilson

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me wether the 45mm F3.5 has a longer manual focus throw than the 45mm F4. (I think 'throw' is the right expression).
I use the F4 and find it goes it and out of focus very quickly...i.e with just a tiny turn....quicker than older manual lenses of course due to design but is the F3.5 any 'longer' in that regard.

Thanks,

Marc

JCM-Photos

I  own and use both lenses, for me it's more a matter of focusing ring turning softer or harder,
The 3.5 ring is even softer and as it is also larger it changes AF position even easier.

I guess thar's why some one day testers report X cameras having bad AF that misses more than half the shots. My older X cameras are 100% are dead on focus.

For me the solution was to learn getting fingers out off the focusing ring when shooting, putting fingers rather on the lenshood to not move the focus.

A learning tool is activating the auto loupe. At the first little focusing ringmove the viewfinder jumps to crop and you know that it went wrong  :)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

marcwilson

Thanks. So when manually focussing lenses with close up view activated the action is fairly similar?
With the P it feels almost too sensitive so a narrow 'throw'. Not a bad thing of course it's how lens works, just wondering if the 3.5 takes more turning ( a good thing for my needs).

Conner999

I've not noticed the 3.5 (listed here) as being a 'fast' manual focus lens vs. various HC or DSLR lenses I've used over the years.

JCM-Photos

The XCD 45 3.5 is in fact a, for digital use recalculated, 45mm X-Pan lens (with added leaf shutter, AF and aperture control).

In fact the design of the XCD was made by the same engineer as the 45mm X-Pan (said Hasselblad optical developpment boss)

Hareb

With my 45/3.5 it takes 90 degrees of rotation from 0.4 m to infinity with manual focus. With 100% you can adjust very finely without any jumps.

JCM-Photos

The 3.5 AF is driven by a stepping motor, you can feel the steps but thaey are so tiny that they never cause a problem

marcwilson

Thank you all. Out of interest does the F3.5 provide any better weather proofing than the F4?

Conner999

I don't know about the F4, but the 3.5 does have a rubber gasket on the mount side.

Georg Kovalcik

The 45P does not have that rubber gasket.

From the three lenses I have (XCD 30, XCD 45P and XCD 90) only the 90mm (one of the older XCD lenses) had a rubber gasket installed, but it came loose soon. Maybe thats the reason Hasselblad skipped installing them on later lenses.

Ralf

My XCD 4/21mm, 2.5/38mm V and 1.9/80mm all have a rubber seal on the bayonet.

Georg Kovalcik

Sorry, I was wrong. I assumed the position of the gasket more on the inner area of the mount, while in reality is far on the outside as can be seen on the photo by Ralf here: http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=9249.msg49224#msg49224

Checked again and yes, the XCD 30mm and the 45P have a gasket as well. So it seems to be standard.