Managing X2D's SSD With Folders or Just Format After a Shoot

Previous topic - Next topic

pflower

Still pretty new with the X2D - a little over 1k images so far but I connect to my Mac via USB 3 and through a dock which is slow and so to get to the most recent images takes time and a lot of scrolling in Phocus.  So I am trying to work out how best to use the SSD (I haven't even thought of buying a CF card so far) and was wondering how others use it.

The options seem to be to reformat after every download to the computer or create a new folder for each shoot which presumably will speed up Phocus imports, or create a new folder for each shoot.  This is probably just idle speculation but anyone got a workflow they would like to share.

flash

It's your dock or cable. The SSD in the X2D is very very fast.

I usually only copy my files from the camera using a very high quality cable (thunderbolt 4 in my case) to two hard drives and then work on the files from there. Then I format the internal SSD and off I go.

Gordon

Whitten

The last thing I want is hundreds of images on the camera or in a single folder.
So I shoot the subject, or the day, then I copy the folder from camera to an external SSD (and edit from there). If it is something precious I might copy it to two separate hard drives, maybe a cheap WD My Passport as a failsafe back up.
I reformat the camera storage for every shoot.

PatrickM

after shooting a day. o download all files to my Mac using the usb-c cable. If everything is there, then I format the SSD. If I'm out for a few days, I download to an external ssd via my iPad, again, using the usb-c cable. If there are just a few images, I use wifi as it's quite fast....via Phocus Mobile

etn

Quote from: Whitten on October 23, 2023, 10:24:20 PM
The last thing I want is hundreds of images on the camera or in a single folder.
Same here. Recently I picked my old Nikon Df which I haven't used in a while, there were hundreds of pictures starting Christmas 2021, plus a few trips I've done in the meantime... I'm pretty sure I saved most (if not all) but it took a while just double-checking this!

On the general workflow:
- Copy from the camera to my computer (which is backed up)
- When I think of it (:P), format the memory card once everything is safely on the computer
- Once I am done with the processing (it can take weeks or months) I transfer everything onto my NAS (which is also backed-up) and erase from computer.

MGrayson

I never erase anything. I suppose when the SSD fills up I'll get a new body.

:D Half kidding,

Matt

Photon42

Ï shoot onto SSD and CF Express at the same time. After each "session" I take the CF card out, transfer the content and then delete the files on the card. The internal SSD keeps a history record. If it fills more than 3/4, I delete some 100 files.

Ikarus

I'm traveling, so I have a CF card for backup.  I haven't downloaded to my MacBook yet.

The last download I did to Phocus, I was surprised to get duplicates, and Phocus didn't seem to recognise what had been downloaded already (unlike LightRoom).  I won't delete anything off the camera or CF card until I'm at home, using my Mac Pro.  I'm used to the file structure in LightRoom, so will probably stick with that for the moment.

When I download, I save a copy of the digital negative to a separate drive (I've messed up moving files about in the past).

There's a lot of discussion in another thread abou first downloading to Phocus, and exporting a TIFF to LR.  This seems a hassle.  Is this really worth it?  Will I lose the Hasselblad colour science if I go straight to LR?