Some thoughts on shooting with X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

SrMi

I took my X2D for the first time on my travels as I went to the Scottish Highlands. I carried 28p, 38, 55, and X2D in a small ThinkTank SpeedTop 15 bag and no tripod.

Generally, I was happy with the setup, especially with the small lenses, excellent IBIS, and image output. IBIS allowed me to handhold the camera at 1/8 sec, my preferred shutter speed for blurring waterfalls.

I had some issues as well.

I disliked the live histogram because it was too small to evaluate the image properly. I prefer using highlight clipping instead of a small histogram, but X2D does not support live highlight clipping. On the other hand, the large RGB histogram during review is very useful.

The other issue was caused by everyday high-contrast landscapes with bright and overcast skies. To avoid highlight clipping, I need to set the exposure so that the shadow detail (i.e., landscape) becomes too dark to see. That makes it hard and unpleasant to frame. I can turn the exposure preview off only in the manual exposure mode. The shadow detail is sometimes hard to see, even with the exposure preview turned off.
In the end, I used the manual exposure mode, exposure preview turned off and evaluated the image using the large histogram in the image review.

flash

Agreed. A highlight clip warning would be extremely welcome. Or at least a way to enlarge the histogram. I did find that if I move it to a more central position I can read it a bit better with my tired old eyes.

Now I have the 28 (which is a lens I've really been waiting for) I'm looking forward to my next trip with it. I'll add a few extra lenses (21, 90 and maybe the 135 and zoom) as I have a tendency to shoot a bit longer than wider. But I'll only carry probably, three lenses each day. After a few days I'll have settled on a main kit and the rest can act as backups.

On my Italy trip my annoyances were the gap before 38 (now solved with the 28). The EVF blockage of the rear screen. And also solved, but the crop options weren't there. I'd REALLY like a basic monochrom preview. A very small focus box. Resizable histogram or highlight/shadow exposure clipping warnings. And a hardware remote release. Now I'm back on Android I can't trigger the camera remotely at all as there's no app.

Oh, yeah. No auto ISO in manual. What's with that??

Gordon

SrMi

Quote from: flash on October 19, 2023, 09:39:33 AM
Agreed. A highlight clip warning would be extremely welcome. Or at least a way to enlarge the histogram. I did find that if I move it to a more central position I can read it a bit better with my tired old eyes.

Now I have the 28 (which is a lens I've really been waiting for) I'm looking forward to my next trip with it. I'll add a few extra lenses (21, 90 and maybe the 135 and zoom) as I have a tendency to shoot a bit longer than wider. But I'll only carry probably, three lenses each day. After a few days I'll have settled on a main kit and the rest can act as backups.

On my Italy trip my annoyances were the gap before 38 (now solved with the 28). The EVF blockage of the rear screen. And also solved, but the crop options weren't there. I'd REALLY like a basic monochrom preview. A very small focus box. Resizable histogram or highlight/shadow exposure clipping warnings. And a hardware remote release. Now I'm back on Android I can't trigger the camera remotely at all as there's no app.

Oh, yeah. No auto ISO in manual. What's with that??

Gordon

Yes, no Auto ISO in manual is strange. When shooting in A mode, I use a button to set the minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO.
I would love an OVF "simulation" mode where the shadows get brightened and highlights darkened (the histogram would be incorrect, though) and if we could quickly change the Auto ISO's minimum shutter speed via a dial.

boojum

Why not just lower the ISO exposure compensation by a fraction or maybe a whole?  Phocus can recover a lot from a RAW file.  Maybe even from a JPEG.
Elpis

SrMi

Quote from: boojum on October 21, 2023, 01:07:41 PM
Why not just lower the ISO exposure compensation by a fraction or maybe a whole?  Phocus can recover a lot from a RAW file.  Maybe even from a JPEG.
I do not follow.
Lowering ISO will make the image darker and thus reduce the visibility of shadows (my problem with X2D).

Ikarus

So, true to the thread title, I got my X2D a month or so ago with the new XCD 38 V. It sat on my desk in Auckland (another story altogether), until I flew to Hong Kong, then Paris.

The idea was one camera, one lens for 6 weeks in Hong Kong, Paris & Normandy, Rome & Florence (between conference commitments).  My previous Hasselblad experience was a 503cx with 50, 80 & 150 Zeiss lenses (that was a fantastic kit), then the X1D II with 21/4, 45P, 80/1.9 & 135 with extender.  I loved the X1D II, but it was heavy as hell with all the lenses (coming from Leica M).

The final straw for the X1D II was my niece's wedding.  The AF completely let me down. I sold the lot (to my regret now - I wish I still had the 21, 80 & 135).  But I digress.

I had read extensively read up on the X2D and the new V lenses, and decided to dive back in (my SL and remaining L lebses are boxed up and ready to sell).  I was concerned at 6x6's experience with the  new V lenses, but so farso good.  For me, anyway.  No smeary corners or edges and images beyond acceptable.

I'm very happy (at this stage - no real processing tilmwe get home at the end of next month.

flash

Quote from: Ikarus on November 01, 2023, 07:44:26 AM
So, true to the thread title, I got my X2D a month or so ago with the new XCD 38 V. It sat on my desk in Auckland (another story altogether), until I flew to Hong Kong, then Paris.

The idea was one camera, one lens for 6 weeks in Hong Kong, Paris & Normandy, Rome & Florence (between conference commitments).  My previous Hasselblad experience was a 503cx with 50, 80 & 150 Zeiss lenses (that was a fantastic kit), then the X1D II with 21/4, 45P, 80/1.9 & 135 with extender.  I loved the X1D II, but it was heavy as hell with all the lenses (coming from Leica M).

The final straw for the X1D II was my niece's wedding.  The AF completely let me down. I sold the lot (to my regret now - I wish I still had the 21, 80 & 135).  But I digress.

I had read extensively read up on the X2D and the new V lenses, and decided to dive back in (my SL and remaining L lebses are boxed up and ready to sell).  I was concerned at 6x6's experience with the  new V lenses, but so farso good.  For me, anyway.  No smeary corners or edges and images beyond acceptable.

I'm very happy (at this stage - no real processing tilmwe get home at the end of next month.

I can easily make the corners smear on the 55V and to a lesser extent on the 38. A flat surface at extremely close distances (less than 1.5 meters) and the corners are mush at even 5.6. The new lenses have some pretty solid field curvature built in and combined with the corrections you can make it happen. If you really want to. In the same test I also made the Sigma and Leica 14-24 L mount lenses exhibit the same performance, and they're known for being good to the edges.

What I haven't seen is any real issues in normal shooting. Generally, the whole frame exceeds anything I can do in a smaller format, though the centre is better than the edges to about 5.6, in normal shooting at distances longer than 2-3 meters. Infinity seems a bit better again. The 65, 80 and 90 have better corner performance at all distances and have no real problems extremely close. Same with the zoom. The zoom is so so good... But in day to day shooting the V and non V XCD lenses seem interchangeable.

Also the new GFX55 1.7 is a keeper. Better than the 'blad. But as big as the XCD80mm. Brillaint *if* you're prepared to carry it.

I'm away in 16 days. Settled on my kit now. Taking 2 x X2D bodies and the 21, 28, 38, 55 and 90 plus the zoom as a backup. Will work out my daily carry each morning. usually, a body and three lenses. Tinkered with taking the GFX100II instead but I'm hanging out with Leica M shooters. I think the X2D is the perfect option.

Gordon