X2D100 with Leica M lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Hello,
For a future trip, I'm really tempted by the X2D100 (I had an X1D).
But there is an obstacle: the new XCD lenses are not available.
I'm thinking of maybe buying an X2D100 and using it with my Leica M (18, 35APO, 50F2.4, 135 APO) and R (180F2.8APO) lenses.
I have already mentioned the subject here but I would like to have confirmation on this point:
- does the wonderful stabilization of the X2D remain active for the entire sensor writing time (around 0.3 seconds)?
(this won't remove deformation from moving objects but anything stationary won't be deformed if I don't move too much)
Thank you in advance for your experience on the subject ;)
Alain (from France)

satijntje

I did some trials with e.g. the 50mm APO but did not like the results at all.
I put the M-X adapter far away in my box and will most likely never use it again :-)
Best solution is to get a second hand 45p for 7-800€ and wait for the 28p.
Good luck

mjhillsc

My experience with the X2D so far tells me to enjoy the XCD lens and not let myself get fancy using alternate glass (which I like to do).  But, your point is the lenses you want aren't available.  My ideal kit for an upcoming trip where I plan to shoot street, street architecture and garden landscapes is the X2D with the new 55mm, the 21mm and the 120mm Macro.  The 55mm will be a great all around lens for the trip.  The 21mm will give me the breadth of a scene when I need it.  And, the 120mm will compress everything nicely when that is the objective.  It will also do macro exquisitely if there is an opportunity.  The 30mm could be an alternative for the 21mm, but I'm going all in with the 21mm which can be difficult to compose with but amazing when the shot is nailed.  I think all of these lenses that I mention can be rented and or purchased.

ALAIN

Thank you very much for your comments.
I'll ask my first question again ;) and complete it:
- does the stabilization of the X2D remain active for the entire sensor writing time (around 0.3 seconds)?
- what would be the comparison of the renderings (colorimetry, air between the shots, 3D effect...) between X2D and M11, the 2 cameras equipped with the same M lens (for example the 35F2 APO M)?

Hareb

Although I don't exactly correspond to the user you requested, I tested it for you. I don't have any Leica lenses, but I do have a lot of Canon FDs. The questions do not depend on the adapted lenses.

The X2D-stabilizer works during focusing (including 100% view) and during full writing time.

Important: Enter the focal length correctly in the stabilizer menu, as it is not recognized automatically. This is easy to forget when changing lenses.

The mentioned 0.3 s refers to recording with 16 bits. At 14 Bit it is significantly less, probably 0.16 s. The difference is clearly visible, in the photos there is much less rolling shutter distortion. That's why I only choose 14 bit with adapted lenses.

The answer after color processing depends on the color representation of the camera. The most similar to the X2D will probably be Olympus, Leica rather a bit colder.

Note on formats: The X2D enables the smaller Leica format 24x36. The file size is identical for all settings. That's why I also use 33x44 with adapted lenses and cut out the vignetting because I want all photos in a 3:4 ratio. There are Canon FD lenses without vignetting, and possibly Leica too.

Ikarus

As an aside, my APO Elmarit-R 180/2.8 ROM covers the full sensor area of my X2D without cropping.

jhasselblad

Quote from: Ikarus on October 13, 2023, 01:32:21 PM
As an aside, my APO Elmarit-R 180/2.8 ROM covers the full sensor area of my X2D without cropping.

This is a good result! How is the IQ of this Apo-R 180mm, which was designed for the film, on this superior 100 MP sensor of the X2D? 

Charles2

I entered   x2d leica   in the search box at Flickr.com. Check the information on each result; maybe one in ten is labeled as shot with a Leica lens.

Here are a couple of results. I think they look very good.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/122284438@N03/52975925542/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jfroberts/52978728189/