X1D / X2D colors...

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Hello,
I really appreciated the colors, the dynamics and everything that makes the X1D images special.
When I decide to move to X2D, I would like to know if all this is preserved, or even improved on the X2D raw files.
Best views from France,
Alain

MGrayson

Extremely personal opinion (redundant, I know). I *like* the out-of-camera color from the X2D as much or more than those from the X1D. When the X1D was my main shooter (for about a year), I converted almost everything to B&W. That might have just been phase I was in. With the X2D, I'm about 50/50. Note: I repurchased a used X1D when the X2D was on the way so I could get used to the system again, so I have direct comparison of the colors. I'm not aware of an obvious difference.

Some people are of the "you can easily convert colors between cameras" opinion. While I agree theoretically, I've never been able to do it in practice. My favorite colors are from the Leica S. The X2D's are remarkably close, with differences most visible in the saturated reds (I think Leica overdoes them).

To reiterate, this is just my own preference, but I'm happy using the X2D as my main camera.

fh29

I shared the same concerns before getting one, and can now confirm the colors are not that different.
After a few weeks with the X2D here my main findings when editing files in Phocus
- very sensitive to the white balance adjustment whereas the X1D was more forgiving if the value was a bit off
- lower contrast with darker midtones so may look less punchy and saturated
- colors are slightly more faithful out of camera (overall feeling + CCSG charts comparisons)
- less separation in the yellows, orange and reds, which was probably exaggerated in the X1D
- very nice greens palette
- blues still a bit too dark and magenta

I still prefer the X1D files look but I'm slowly getting there with the X2D.

ALAIN

Very interesting, Thank you !
You talk about witch version of Leica S ?
A CCD version perhaps... I have incredible colors with my H5D-60 ;)

MGrayson

The CCD Leica S(006) was my favorite. The CMOS S(007) was ok, but not stellar. The CMOS S3 is back closer to the CCD colors, but a bit more neutral.

I really loved the Phase one IQ160. That may be the same sensor as the H5D-60's

fh29

AFAIK all the 60 and 80Mpx MF sensors were manufactured by Dalsa.
I certainly miss the look of those ccd files, especially the ones from the so-called fat pixels backs (Leaf Aptus 22 & 33 anyone ?).

davidjt

I have recently moved to X1D 50cii / 907x from Fuji MF because I really didn't get on with the colour from the 100 sensor vs the 50 sensor. Despite folk saying that you can match the colour post was quite different as the handling of magenta/yellow/green seemed odd and easily distorted.

flash

Quote from: davidjt on October 10, 2023, 07:15:31 PM
I have recently moved to X1D 50cii / 907x from Fuji MF because I really didn't get on with the colour from the 100 sensor vs the 50 sensor. Despite folk saying that you can match the colour post was quite different as the handling of magenta/yellow/green seemed odd and easily distorted.

This is different. Hasselblad calibrate each sensor individually. Fujifilm do not. Also HB cameras load a data file which contains colour and lens correction information for every lens. This is why the original X1D took so long to boot up. It was loading 500MB of calibration data. This is handled differently with the X2D but the overall process is the same. This combined with data in the raw processor is what HNCS is. So your 100MP Fuji sensor doesn't look like the same sensor in the X2D and the X2D colour is very close to the X1D except for any differences like 16 bit vs 14 bit read outs and other non changeable hardware effects.

HNCS has kept as much colour consistency as possible between different sensors so that photographers have some certainty as to the post processing workflow over several sensor types and generations.

Also the new GFX100II colour is better than the older 100S.

Gordon

fh29

Quote from: davidjt on October 10, 2023, 07:15:31 PM
It was a real struggle to get neutral results with the gfx100, and a real disappointment after enjoying their 50mpx model.
I played with the latest one last week and have to admit colors are a lot better : still some Fuji greens but almost no magenta cast. The tonal palette is much more balanced now.
The sensor is supposed to be a new version with different micro-lenses, so that may have helped if they designed a new cfa. Overall the body is still an exercice in brutalism, hard to enjoy coming from the x2d... the gf55 is really nice btw, huge and heavy but with a very pleasant rendering
/OT off

flash

Actually, I really like the GFX100II. A lot. It's VERY fast compared to anything else in the MF space, beautifully made and ergonomically, much improved from both the 100 and 100S. The viewfinder is magnificent. Better, even than, the X2D. The IBIS doesn't feel quite as good but close from early testing.

It also shows that Fujifilms approach to miniMF is completely different to Hasselblads. They share a sensor (sort of) but other than that they're not related at all. If I were to compare to my Leicas the X2D is a miniMF M and the 100II is more like the SL. The X2D is pared down to just what you need to take a great photo. The GFX gives you every assistance possible, plus stuff you don't need and video.

These are both excellent systems but comparisons have become more difficult because of how different they are.

Gordon