XCD V 38mm lens control ring question

Previous topic - Next topic

marcwilson

Hi all,

For anyone using the 38 XCD V lens (or other XCD V lenses I assume), if I was to set the control ring to change apertures, and add a small mark to it when the aperture was let's say F4, would turning it to that mark always move it to the same F4 aperture after the camera has been turned off and back on again? I'm going to assume no but wanted to ask.
I use the X1d2 so don't have access to top down screen to quickly see aperture, etc.

Thanks.

Ralf

The multifunction ring works electronically, even when the aperture function is set.  Marking the ring would be pointless.

PatrickM

Pointless marking the ring. For instance you can use the ring to f4, then use the front scroll to change it to another ... if you thought your mark was f4, well it isn't now!
Generally, when you switch off, then the shutter speed etc etc are saved and recalled when you switch on.

Ikarus

Just to add to the comments above, if you leave the ring set to aperture and you rotate it clockwise, the aperture will change in whatever direction it was in last till it reaches wide open or stopped right down, then it will head in the other direction - you can watch it change in the viewfinder.

I have it set to ISO, as I have aperture set to the front control wheel (as with the X1D II). 

PatrickM

Quote from: Ikarus on October 04, 2023, 06:35:02 AM

I have it set to ISO, as I have aperture set to the front control wheel (as with the X1D II).

I also set the control ring to ISO ... the scroll wheels cover shutter speed and aperture, and it seems quite natural to change iso this way.

marcwilson

Thanks for all the replies...I assumed it might not work as I wondered.

Iskander

I've set the Lens Control Ring to exposure compensation.

PatrickM

Quote from: Iskander on October 04, 2023, 09:43:11 PM
I've set the Lens Control Ring to exposure compensation.
I mainly shoot in full Manual mode so I never need exposure compensation, and in M there's no Auto ISO to worry about. Exp Compensation is only really used in A, S or P modes (generally) ... which is why setting the control ring to ISO is so useful.

tenmangu81

Quote from: Ikarus on October 04, 2023, 06:35:02 AM

So do I.
Robert