X2D best lens mount for adapted shift lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

Plancton06

I decided to buy the Laowa 20mm f4 shift lens for the X2d. There are different mounts available. What is the recommended mount to use and why? Canon rf, ef, Leica? Someone on a different post said that Nikon mount would not work with shift. Thanks

MGrayson

I think that the Canon mount is the widest and would have the least vignetting, but I have not done the experiments.

Andy Miller Photo UK

The best solution "by far" in my opinion is to use HC/HCD lenses with the HTS 1.5 and wither the XH adapter or XH 0.8 converter. This allows both the leaf shutter in the lens to be used and sull electronic AF/controls.
[Obviously the HC/HCD lens needs to have firmware 19]

Look at this adapter for Canon lenses -- https://www.linhofstudio.com/knowledgebank/hasselblad-x1d-adapter-solutions/

Next are a host of fully manual MF lenses (the top choice - look at lenses and adapter that work on the GFX100), View Camera (like the Cambo Actus with Actar or adapted lenses including large format and of course the Alpa) and then FF lenses - as a rule FF lenses have limited image circles which limit the range of shift/tilt you can use - the PC-E Nikkors are great but really the 19mm is the top of the pile.

There are plenty of 3rd party options for small shifts and small tilts. Ultimately you just need to find suitable adapters to connect to the X2D and to place the lens at the correct distance from the sensor -- one challenge is that unless you are using H lenses or lenses with built in shutters you will have to use the electronic shutter in which case anything moving will not come out looking great.

Sandro

I use the Nikon mount of the Laowa with excellent results on my X1D II, but usable rise/fall is near 8mm, no morenthan that.
I also use Pentax 67 lenses (45, 55 and 200) with the Kipon adapter. I can rise/fall the full 20mm allowed by the adapter without significant loss in definition in the corners.
Even if Hasselblad would release a t&s lens, it would cost a fortune, I'll stay with the current solutions.

Plancton06

Thanks! hts + old hasselblad lenses is not realistic for me at the moment (cost + size)
Are you using the laowa 15 or the 20mm? just curious about results with the x2d.Did you get them in Nikon F or Z mount? makes sense the Z mount doesn't cause issues but I haven't seen Z mount adapters.
I guess it is possible to assume that if full shift needed, its ok to use the 3:2 central crop mode, which will still give around 60mp. other than the shutter, it does seem like a great alternative.
It is tempting to get the 21mm xcd lens + the laowa , in some cases digital correction of the 21mm xcd will be just fine.