The two 90mm lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

bmikiten

Is it reasonable to assume that if I'm not looking for bokeh (I'm doing mostly landscape and use a tripod) that the current 90 3.2 lens is perfectly reasonable? I have the zoom and the 135/1.7x but need something in between based on a few recent shooting situations. Would it also be fair to expect to see some 90/3.2 models available on the used market soon?

THX

MGrayson

The current 90/3.2 is excellent. If you want sharp, you can not do much better.

hcubell

Quote from: MGrayson on October 03, 2023, 09:11:45 AM
The current 90/3.2 is excellent. If you want sharp, you can not do much better.

I have been using the 90/3.2 for over 6 years, and I completely agree. The weight is also not that different from 90V.

bmikiten

Thank you. I'm looking for a low activation used one now.

JCM-Photos

each Hasselblad X camera has a menu function you can activate to make fully round bokeh balls with all lenses, and specially with the 3.2 90mm that is prone to polygonal balls fully open.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

jms116

Where is the menu function to do this?

tenmangu81

On the X1D II : Camera settings menu -> Configuration -> Lens -> Max Aperture -> Full
Should be similar on the X2D, I guess.
Robert

PatrickM

Yes, it's in the X2D manual...

MattPZ

I just took delivery of a 90mm 3.2 today - early tests suggest it is a fabulous lens - however (and I don't mind this at all) OOF specular highlights are still octagonal, even with this camera body setting set to full with this lens.

flash

Quote from: MattPZ on October 04, 2023, 06:19:12 AM
I just took delivery of a 90mm 3.2 today - early tests suggest it is a fabulous lens - however (and I don't mind this at all) OOF specular highlights are still octagonal, even with this camera body setting set to full with this lens.

Bokeh balls will only be round wide open, with this setting. Stooping down even a third of a stop will result in hexagonal bokeh.

Honestly though, after 5 years on shooting the X1D etc, I no longer worry about it. If I *need* round bokeh highlights I just put on the 80mm wide open.

Gordon

MattPZ

I'm pretty sure my tests were wide open, but I'll double check when I'm at my pc, thanks.

Either way I'm very happy with the older lens, it's a lovely piece of kit

***EDIT***

Gordon, you were absolutely correct, many thanks indeed - in fact my casual test shots were stopped down just a fraction, and when going fully open to F3.2 it does indeed change the highlights from octagonal to fully round!

Iskander

The current 90/3.2 is really excellent on the X2D. The sharpest lens I own (XCD38V, XCD90). No need to change to the new V-lens.

jms116

Thanks for all the responses on where in the manual the bokeh setting is!

SeanRL

I believe there is a YT video where the lens designer says he was particularly happy with the 90/3.2.

It really is something, a sleeper in the shadow of the 80mm.

S

MSuser

Quote from: SeanRL on October 11, 2023, 10:39:11 PM
I believe there is a YT video where the lens designer says he was particularly happy with the 90/3.2.

It really is something, a sleeper in the shadow of the 80mm.

S

There is a YouTube Webinar: Hasselblad Lens Design which gives a rare interview with Per Nordlund Hasselblad's Lead Optical Designer. The first half of the webinar covers their lens history. The second half discusses the lens design process using the evolving iterations leading to the final design of the XCD 30mm as an example.