Best flash system to use outdoor with my X2D with the new lenses?

Previous topic - Next topic

billmcdad

Hello.
I have the X2D with both the XCD 55mm and 38mm lenses. I attempted to use a Profoto B10 Plus flash, but I encountered significant underexposure when shooting at shutter speeds beyond 1/800.

Any assistance is appreciated. Ideally, I would like to use the camera at its highest sync speed, 1/2000, as advertised, without losing fash power. Is that possible? And in your opinion, which flash system has the fastest flash duration for that task?

Thanks in advance for your help.

grotte

For underexposure: The True Exposure option should be off with the flash. The manual says so.

Ralf

It may also be that the b10 plus has too long a burn time with the appropriate power, so that the camera has already closed the shutter again when the flash is still lit.

B10x plus
Flash duration t0.1
Normal mode: 1/390 s (500 Ws) - 1/4,100 s (1 Ws)
Freeze mode: 1/390 s (500 Ws) - 1/14,000 s (1 Ws)

I think B1x and D2 have faster burn times.

ashdown

As above. Was this at full flash power? You need to choose your flash and it's setting carefully to get the fastest duration. The Profoto B10 Plus has a T.5 of 1/300 so the entire duration (T.1) would actually be around 1/800th. At minimum power the duration is far shorter (1/50,000 T.5) so a 1/2000 shutter speed should be fine.

I can get a 1/2000 full power (1100ws)  T.1 flash duration with my old Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed with Action head and a trigger in the speed setting.