Transfer X2D files to external portable storage

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhillsc

My X2D is setup to back up the SSD to the internal card. But, I am getting ready to be on the road and away from a laptop for a week plus. While I doubt I will exceed the 1TB storage capacity of the X2D, I would like a backup of the files that I can put somewhere the camera isn't (for security). Anyone have any suggestions?

flash

Use a phone or iPad to transfer the files via a small dock.

Gordon

sarkleshark

Can you transfer image files for backup to a iphone 15 pro max via usb c cable?  Has anyone tried this?
thanks

mjhillsc

Quote from: sarkleshark on September 29, 2023, 12:15:51 PM
Can you transfer image files for backup to a iphone 15 pro max via usb c cable?  Has anyone tried this?
thanks

I am in the process of trying to create a workflow with the iPad or iPhone and am finding that the connection needs to be via the WiFi that the camera establishes.  Interestingly, the transfer of the files is quicker than I would have thought.  I am stumbling through the issue of how to differentiate between RAW and JPG files and also the issue of what transfers is you used an in camera mask like the XPan aspect mask.  When I get this figured out, I will post the details.

stephanbruehl

Quote from: mjhillsc on September 30, 2023, 09:32:04 AM
I am in the process of trying to create a workflow with the iPad or iPhone and am finding that the connection needs to be via the WiFi that the camera establishes. 
The transfer via WiFi works only through Phocus Mobile 2. Whereas with a USB C connection you can transfer whole folders in one step. I personally prefer the FB (FileBrowser) app against the implemented Apple data app. With the original Hasselblad cable the transfer is quite rapid.

PatrickM

My workflow with my Nikon is USB-c to my iPad to transfer the images, then from the iPad via usb-c to my external ssd ...

Usually I use WiFi for tne x2d, but I just tried up using the usb-c cable and it blew me away with how fast it was. Just a few seconds literally for almost 250 fff files.
Next, I have set it to take 1000 images using the electronic shutter (saves wear and tear on the mechanical shutter ... as it's just a test) and will time uploading via WiFi and via usb-c to my iPad Pro m2 ....

PatrickM

Eek. 51 fff from the X2D via WiFi 5:41 ....i was transferring all 1000 but it would take a   l o n g time to do 1000
So using a usb-c cable ... clearly a lot faster. In the same 5:41 140 images were copied ie about 3x faster by cable than by WiFi. It's about three times faster.

pflower

Have a look at the Western Digital My Passport wireless pro.  Looks as if it could be of interest to you - has its own wifi network to connect to the camera and a USB port.  I have no personal experience with it so cannot give any indication as to whether it would be of use with the X2D.  Personally I travel with an old(ish) MacBook Air and an external Sandisk SSD.  Slow to transfer via USB to the computer but fast to transfer from the internal hard disk to the external SSD. 

Do iPhones and iPads really have the capacity to transfer the large files from the X2D to them?  I don't know but if you want a one stop solution the WD might - and I only say might - be of interest.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: mjhillsc on September 29, 2023, 10:37:42 AM
My X2D is setup to back up the SSD to the internal card. But, I am getting ready to be on the road and away from a laptop for a week plus. While I doubt I will exceed the 1TB storage capacity of the X2D, I would like a backup of the files that I can put somewhere the camera isn't (for security). Anyone have any suggestions?
Few camera are designed to write to an external storage device. The X2D is not one of them. Part of the issue is the external storage needs to draw bus power from somewhere and unless the camera is designed to do this then you are challenged to use SSD's with a separate power supply or I have seen a chinese made CFexpress type B card with a data ribbon that plugs into an NVME M2 SSD (typically up to 2TB) but I will not use it. Some have.

Therefore, you need to use a device that treats the X2D as an external SSD - in mass storage mode on the camera. There have been several over the years, but the most effective are 1) laptops/computers; 2) smart phones/tablets; and a very few devices that have an interface and storage -
I would never travel without a laptop, iPad and iPhone -- and some additional SSD for storage/backup. I shoot and want to perform some basic processing to confirm I have what I wanted.
Phocus Mobile can play that role is you have a tablet/smart phone.
But honestly given the limited size of storage on such devices I always tend to use a laptop and SSDs attached to it.

PatrickM

Quote from: pflower on October 01, 2023, 12:19:00 PM

Do iPhones and iPads really have the capacity to transfer the large files from the X2D to them?  I don't know but if you want a one stop solution the WD might - and I only say might - be of interest.
My iPad Pro is 512Gb and you can get up to 2Tb.
1000 fff files would need 220Gb. Generally, you'd never need that many! You'd only upload your best.