GOOD NEWS for GEOTAGGERS

Previous topic - Next topic

KuehnKvT

An easy way to geotag Hasselblad fff files (or other image formats) is provided by Photosoftware

,,Graphicconverter V 12 - BETA 12.0.7 6262"
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html
It is shareware and costs $39.95 single license (should be ordered from their website - MAC Appstore-version has some restrictions).

Automatic geotagging using a recorded gpx-track is easy:

(Before you tag, you have to change a setting in the software:
Choose "Settings", and on the tab ,,Browser" and on ,,Edit Metadata 1" set ,,Prefer embedding XMP into RAW..."
This must be done only the first time before you plan to geotag - see screenshot)

To Tag your Photos:

- Select photos to be tagged,
- rightclick on one and select: ,,GPS" - ,,Open GPX/NMEA Files for Geotagging" - see screenshot.
- Select your gpxtrack and click ,,Open"

- Right click again (on one of the selected photos) and choose ,,Apply GPX/NMEA Data to selected images..."
In the next window select the timezone the photos were shot in and click ok.

All tagged photos will then show the GPS-Icon on their thumbnail's upper right corner - see screenshot.

Manually tagging is as easy by choosing ,,GPS" - ,,Set GPS from Google Earth Pro Position" 
or
,,GPS" - ,,Add or Edit GPS Values with Map" and double clicking on the correct location.
Or you can enter numerical values ,,GPS" - ,,Add or Edit GPS values"

Once you have tagged your photos, you can ,,Create KML File(s) with Previews for selection"
or ,,Create GPX File as Track for selection"
or ,,Create GPX File as Waypoints for selection"

To make sure, Phocus can read the GPS Data select a tagged photo in Phocus and choose ,,Image" - ,,Map" (⌥ + ⌘ + M)
If ,,Map" is selectable (not greyed out) the photo has GPS coordinates, which can be checked on Google Earth, which then opens.

If you present your photos to others in a Slideshow, you can let a map popup (press "P"), which shows the GPS-Position on it. Pressing "P" again switches the map off again.
Or you can show the map on one monitor and the fullscreen-Photo on the other -if you have a two-Monitors setup.

Please note, that the first version of Graphicconverter capable of tagging Hasselblad fff files is Beta 12.0.7 (6262) - http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html.
The developer reacted immediately to my questions on tagging and presented a new version of the software the next day !

I am very happy I found this gorgeous app in Mac&i Magazine (https://www.heise.de/tests/Multitool-fuer-Bilddateien-9217293.html - in German)
It avoids so many disadvantages, other Apps have...

stephanbruehl

I have loaded the app and in principle it works. HOWEVER, I found numerous cases where it failed with the error message "error reading value for IFD0 entry 27". So first I didn't know why this was happening. But then I realized that the error only happened for pictures with a large history of adjustments. I then deleted previously stored adjustments and just kept the actual settings. Then it was possible to read the file header correctly with the GraphicConverter and implement the GPS data.
The strange thing is that the behavior is quite different for individual files. With some files just one adjustment setting may be saved, for other files also up to three different adjustment settings were accepted and it was still possible to implement the GPS data. My assumption is that it depends on the size of the file header where all these things are stored. Maybe layer adjustments especially with very detailed brush settings lead to larger headers compared to the gradient tool and then can cause the error when a certain header size is exceeded.
In any case it seems advisable to first implement the GPS data before working on the RAW file with Phocus.

KuehnKvT

Yes, I also have these problems.

I'm in contact with the developer and think Mr. Lemke is working to solve them.

I guess that error messages are given to early due to the immense size of Hasselblad fff-files.

In some cases I notice that tagging has worked, but an error message popped up.
Tagging fff-files with gpx-tracks works well for me, tagging using a GoogleEarth position works as well, tagging using a map produces error messages, but seems to work anyway.
So lets wait for a new Beta...

KuehnKvT

Problems are solved...

Hasselblad fff's can be geo-tagged:
- many at once using a recorded GPX-track,
- single ones by placing a pin on a map,
- one by one by showing the position on the Google Earth map.

and now it is possible to show a photo's GPS-position by pressing key "p" during a slideshow presentation.

I like GraphicConverter.  (No, I'm not paid by the developer)