Issues with the 'Extended GPU Usage' in Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

denis_y_s

Hello!

I'm experiencing issues with the 'Extended GPU Usage' settings on my new computer while using the latest Phocus 3.7.5 and earlier versions of it. I've attached some screenshots that highlight the errors and messages, along with information about my system and drivers.

Upon launching Phocus, I receive the following error message: 'It appears that Phocus failed during the detection of DirectCompute. Extended GPU usage has been disabled.'

Additionally, when I attempt to access the Preferences and enable 'Extended GPU usage', the checkbox becomes greyed out, and I'm unable to activate it. Clicking on the question mark icon reveals further error messages (please see the attached screenshots).

I've ensured that my system and video drivers are up to date, with DirectX 12.2 and all its previous versions installed. However, without 'Extended GPU usage' enabled in Phocus, I encounter performance issues with my H6D-400c multi-shot tethered camera. The image loading is sluggish, and viewing the image at 100% zoom results in large black blocks.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thank you,
-Denis

Bob Foster

Though our computers are broadly similar in capability I can't offer specific advice as I'm still running W10 Enterprise (LTSC).

For what little this may be worth to you, in using high end computers for many years I've seen a rather large range of issues caused by the default policies of Windows regarding device installation, the drivers that Nvidia offers, and the compatibility of third party software with various video cards and particular drivers. If you haven't done so I'd advise Hasselblad of your problem. Please append the information you've provided here to your e-mail to them.

The first thing that I try when I attempt to resolve this type of problem is to download several older drivers, including one perhaps as much as a year "out of date." If you've ever done any coding you'll have noted that in adding a feature to software or fixing a "bug" it's all to common to cause a problem that at first may seem entirely unrelated to the work you have done. The large software vendors do spend a lot of time and money testing new releases but large programs like video drivers are very complex; it is indeed quite rare to find any software containing highly complicated code without any apparent problem.

If an older driver does not solve your problem I'd head to Microsoft's TechNet to see if there is a likely workaround. I do make and save a note to myself regarding the general stability of each Nvidia driver I install as well as any problems that I note. The driver I'm currently using was released in December of 2022.

The Windows DeviceInstall/DeviceID related policies are currently more complicated than they were just a couple years ago. I've not had a recent problem in this area but be aware that there have been issues with this in the past. That the "General" tab in device manager reports that a particular device is "operating properly" does not mean that all of the functions of the device are installed and working properly! The "Events" tab often will show a message like "further installation required" when a problem has been encountered.

Finally Hasselblad may be aware of this issue. It's curious that DirectX 12 is installed on your computer but Phocus is has an issue with  DirectX 11.1.

Bob

denis_y_s

Thank you, Bob, for your reply and advice! I've contacted Hasselblad support with this issue but haven't heard back from them yet. Does anybody know if this is the best contact address for this kind of issues? - support.us@hasselblad.com

Thanks.