Thoughts on new purchasing of non-V and non-P lenses?

Previous topic - Next topic

justin_parker_photo

As someone who is getting into the XCD system, and totally in love with my X2D, I am curious how others are thinking about potential purposes of non-V and non-P lenses.    The 38V, 55V, 90V, 28P lenses all clearly are of a new generation.   I do not have H system lenses as I was previously a film shooter in medium format and only rented digital H system gear occasionally. 

I picked up a barely used 80 1.9 cause that lens is amazing and while it sounds and focuses like a clunker the results are great and I am sure it will be one of the last to be "refreshed" (given the 90V being so close and portable for travel).   

I can't help but feel that a *new* purchase (as opposed to secondary market) of these first generation lenses will leave me filled with regret eventually.  I don't expect Hasselblad to release any kind of roadmap, but sure would love one.   Sad there is not hasselbladrumors.com type site to guide me. (Fuji, Nikon, Apple all have them.. ha).  Would love a 20V or 24V and a 135V.

EDIT: I am a relatively new poster to this group so I beg forgiveness if this kind of topic is offbase or not permitted here.

maxct

I just buy used ones - not to hard to find used XCD lenses at good prices. Who knows how long it will take for Hasselblad to release new versions of the 21, 30, 135, etc?  The 90v is taking forever. I just get what I need and usually buy used so save a lot of money - no regrets - all amazing lenses.

PatrickM

As I understand it, the V lenses are made for the X2P, for both image quality and fast focussing...plus their control ring is very useful. Mine always set to ISO.

Ikarus

I have the 38/2.5V, and I'm waiting to see what happens.  I have had (and loved) the 20/4 and 80/1.9, but sold them when I got out of the X1D II.  I would like wider and longer, so will be in the market for either or both secondhand (depending on the new releases.

Next month, I'm off to Hong Kong, France and Italy, and will take the X2D and 38V, Monochrom and 50 Noctilux 0.95, and a HAX/LEM adapter.  Should be enough, though the 135/2.8 would have been a nice addition ...

flash

Optically the older lenses are at least as good as the new ones. Mostly you just loose a bit of AF speed and the control ring and add some weight. You won't have any IQ issues.

Your 80mm 1.9 is one of the slower AFing lenses. But in the real world it's not that much slower than the GFX version (on a GFX100S, I haven't tested on the 100ii yet.) or even the Sony 85mm GM, although both these have some tracking and AFC. But the 80, along with the 135, 65 and 45 are slower focusing than is ideal. The 120 macro is very slow, but obscenely sharp.

The zoom, 21, 30 and 90 actually focus very well on the X2D. While I welcome the 28P for it's size and weight I don't think I'm limited by the 30. And I'm actually not sure that I'd update my 21 to a version that just added a control ring. It's AF is very usable. A wide zoom is what it would take.

The XCD zoom is brilliant and focuses muck like the Fuji ones in that range. The Fujis are slightly faster and again, you have AFC and eye detect but in the real world I don't feel limited by the XCD zoom. And it has better IQ than eithe of the Fuji options. This lens is entirely useful on the X2D.

To me, the X2D isn't a sports camera or for run and gun shooting. I use mine for portraits and travel, plus general photography. Someone will complain it's not fast enough for their cat or grandkids, because we need 100MP for those! I shot my favourite pictures of my kids on an M9. For my intended uses the older lenses are often more than adequate for speed. I like the new lenses from a size and weight perspective and the AF speed bump is great but not essential. I travelled the world with my X1D and X1D II and will do the same for with the X2D.

Gordon

Ikarus

Thanks Gordon - very useful.

There seem to be lots of 80/1.9 lenses on eBay at stupid prices (more than new at B&H), and no 21.4 lenses.  I will watch and wait.

Ralf

Quote from: Ikarus on September 28, 2023, 03:19:29 PM

There seem to be lots of 80/1.9 lenses on eBay at stupid prices (more than new at B&H), and no 21.4 lenses.  I will watch and wait.

=> Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4. Für X1D/X1DII/X2D.Super Zustand. Versandkostenfrei. gibt's bei eBay!
https://www.ebay.de/itm/175870661361?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=fKgzEV2ISlG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4sB79xqPS2u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: justin_parker_photo on September 28, 2023, 06:09:41 AM
As someone who is getting into the XCD system, and totally in love with my X2D, I am curious how others are thinking about potential purposes of non-V and non-P lenses.    The 38V, 55V, 90V, 28P lenses all clearly are of a new generation.   I do not have H system lenses as I was previously a film shooter in medium format and only rented digital H system gear occasionally. 
I picked up a barely used 80 1.9 cause that lens is amazing and while it sounds and focuses like a clunker the results are great and I am sure it will be one of the last to be "refreshed" (given the 90V being so close and portable for travel).   
I can't help but feel that a *new* purchase (as opposed to secondary market) of these first generation lenses will leave me filled with regret eventually.  I don't expect Hasselblad to release any kind of roadmap, but sure would love one.   Sad there is not hasselbladrumors.com type site to guide me. (Fuji, Nikon, Apple all have them.. ha).  Would love a 20V or 24V and a 135V.
The original XCD lenses are all great - the new V and 28P lenses are slightly lighter and more compact, supposed to have quicker focussing AF motors and 2 have a new shutter mechanism that allows speeds upto 1/4000th to be achieved. BUT the objective element seems smaller and all have a 67mm filter ring size, whereas many of the XCD use 77mm or larger. That said a f/2.5 the 3 V lenses are all a slight bit brighter than their XCD equivalents - which is good.
Those of us who placed orders for the XCD 2.5/90V are still waiting -- patiently. In the mean time the 28P, 38V and 55V are great additions to a set that also contains XCD 4,0/21, 1,9/80, 3.5/120M, 2.8/135+TC ad a bunch of H lenses and adapters.
Your next lens choices should be driven by what you want to shoot and the look you want to achieve. For example, while I love my XCD 4/21. I can obtain "better" results for landscape/architectural work with an HC 4.8/28 +HTS (tilt shift adapter) +XH(0.8) converter because the HTS allows me to shift to correct the geometry in camera - yes I by using the HTS am having to apply a 1.5x and the 0.8 converter puts me back to +1.2x - but the shift is a big thing and using the HTS with an H lens that can accept firmware 19 means I have access to the leaf shutter, full AF and electronic connections, which makes it more useful in some uses cases than a field camera (like my cambo) or other adapted lenses.
That said the 4/21 is awesome and compact - so shoot wider than you need and keystone -- but the look is not the same as from a tilt/shift system/lens.

Have a look at https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajm057/albums/72177720302979726

Thyl

Quote from: Ralf on September 28, 2023, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: Ikarus on September 28, 2023, 03:19:29 PM

=> Hasselblad XCD 21mm f/4. Für X1D/X1DII/X2D.Super Zustand. Versandkostenfrei. gibt's bei eBay!
https://www.ebay.de/itm/175870661361?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=fKgzEV2ISlG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4sB79xqPS2u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Funny that this lens is in Wetzlar, hometown of Leica.

MGrayson

Quote from: flash on September 28, 2023, 01:55:26 PM

To me, the X2D isn't a sports camera or for run and gun shooting. I use mine for portraits and travel, plus general photography. Someone will complain it's not fast enough for their cat or grandkids, because we need 100MP for those! I shot my favourite pictures of my kids on an M9. For my intended uses the older lenses are often more than adequate for speed. I like the new lenses from a size and weight perspective and the AF speed bump is great but not essential. I travelled the world with my X1D and X1D II and will do the same for with the X2D.

Gordon

The secret is to get slower cats!
X2D XCD 120/4