H5d-50c owner Needing Advice

Previous topic - Next topic

JHSPHOTO

I am looking at upgrading to the X2d system. I own a few original HC lenses all prime. What should I be worrier about or what do I need to worry about upgrading. I'm trying to progress and maintain at the same time. I got the H5d-50c system 2 years ago with the option because I wanted to shoot film. I have yet to buy the film back. So that's dumb at this point. I am thinking a x2d body with the adaptor and my lenses and I will be ok?

SeanRL

There shouldn't be too many surprises...the 50c uses a Sony 50MP CMOS sensor.

If you're not used to mirrorless, a main difference is going to be the electronic viewfinder vs the optical of the H5d.

Another is that the HC primes will not give the same field of view you are used to on the H5d. If you want the lens(es) field of view to carry over to the X2D you'll need the 0.8 converter instead of the HC adapter.
The weight of the converter (contains glass) is a consideration if you intend to shoot handheld.

HTH,
S

MSuser

Quote from: SeanRL on September 27, 2023, 02:29:59 PM
Another is that the HC primes will not give the same field of view you are used to on the H5d. If you want the lens(es) field of view to carry over to the X2D you'll need the 0.8 converter instead of the HC adapter.
The weight of the converter (contains glass) is a consideration if you intend to shoot handheld.

HTH,
S

The original poster, JHSPHOTO, has an H5D-50c which is the same sensor as the X1D, X1D II 50C, and 907X 50C and the same sensor size (43.8 x 32.9mm) as the X2D 100C. There is no change in field of view when using any H-series lens on an H5D-50c or any X-system camera as the sensors are all the same size within that group of cameras.

Because H-system lenses have image circles designed to cover a larger sensor or film size than 43.8 x 32.9mm, you can obtain two different effective focal lengths when using an HC/HCD lens on any X-system camera by using either the XH Lens Adapter or XH Converter 0,8.

ashdown

The only surprises will come from the compatibility of your lenses to the X2D. Depending on their age they can run different firmware which will allow different features. It's been documented here many times but basically pre 2013 lenses will have no autofocus and only orange dot lenses will allow  the 1/2000 maximum shutter speed. The year of your lenses can be decoded free m the serial number.

Conner999

Some FYIs re: H series lenses on X series:

-H5D-50C has same size sensor as X1D/2, so same FoV with HC lenses as with same FL of X series glass.
-XH adapter gives you same FoV HC vs X lenses. 80mm F2.8 on H is 80mm F2.8 on X series (64mm equiv FoV)
-HC/D lenses work perfectly on X series. Great rendering, as sharp as if on H5D/H6D series.
-Older (non-OD) glass will be manual focus only, 1/800 sync.
-OD lenses that will AF will be slower than X series AF.
-MF H lenses on X series operates same as if the HC lens was being manually focused on H series.
-All exif recorded and all Phocus adjustments done.

-XH0.8 gives you same FoV as if HC lens were used on larger sensor H6D-100C, ups F stop by +2/3 EV and improves lens performance. Ex. 80mm F2.8 becomes 55mm F2.2 on HC series with improved performance using the XH0.8. All EXIF recorded.

-Lenses longer than HC 100mm can be very front-heavy and ungainly hand-held on smaller, thinner X series body.

Great, less costly way to get fantastic glass with leaf shutters on the X series.