X2D. Anyone with experience using Canon tilt-shift lenses?

Previous topic - Next topic

Plancton06

Hi
I am shooting architecture with the X2D. By now very good results correcting perspective in photoshop. With 100mp the quality is very good even after cropping and stretching. The resulting images are around 80mp after corrections. This is using the 28mm and 45mm XCD lenses.

Is there anyone with experience using Canon tilt-shift lenses? There are videos showing results for Fuji, however, it would be interested to know if someone has experience with Hasselblad, particularly in the 3:2 center cropped mode, which should be equivalent to around 60 megapixel.
I am curious if using this 60 mp mode with a canon lens would perhaps give better results than shooting with Hasselblad lenses and fixing perspective in Photoshop.

I am not so interested in the Hasselblad tilt shift adapter for HC lenses, mainly due to cost, size and need to use older HC lenses.

Thank you.

MGrayson

I have the Canon 24 TS-E. It works well enough on the X1D, but even at that resolution, corrected images from the XCD 21 were better.

anGy

I did use a Canon 24 TS-E mark II a few times with my X1D before selling it. The process was pleasant, slow, meticulous but the 'okay' results of this lens pushed me towards the purchase of the 21mm.
This is a great lens and  the 100mp of the X2D allows some good amount of cropping.
Only issue is the correction in LR, it does a good but not perfect job on linear subjects and a not so good job on curved subjects. Using shift with the TS-E ensures more correct subjects proportions as you don't have to later alter the image when correcting a tilted shot in LR.
That said, it isn't always easy to correct the lens distortion of the TS-E at 10mm shift f.i.

marcwilson

My friend (architectural photographer) uses the HTS with H lenses and is very happy with results.
Bit bigger of course compared to canon route but better results all round.

ashdown

Quote from: marcwilson on September 23, 2023, 03:28:22 AM
My friend (architectural photographer) uses the HTS with H lenses and is very happy with results.
Bit bigger of course compared to canon route but better results all round.

I'm also a fan of the HTS (for commercial work). It's not fast or pocketable but that's not really the aim of camera movements. The Canon TS lenses are no good to me as you can't sync flash with the e-shutter. The HTS's main weakness is that even with the 24mm lens the resulting focal length is 36mm so wider images need to be stitched together panos.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: Plancton06 on September 22, 2023, 10:12:01 PM
Is there anyone with experience using Canon tilt-shift lenses?

Canon No Nikkor PC-E Yes

Quote from: Plancton06 on September 22, 2023, 10:12:01 PM
I am not so interested in the Hasselblad tilt shift adapter for HC lenses, mainly due to cost, size and need to use older HC lenses.
Shame the HTS is great.
The top answer is to use one of the Cambo or Alpa view/technical camera solutions. But it all depends on what you want to achieve.

However -- watch this vid where Bo "the guy" uses Canon tilt shift on an X2D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRieLyev_7o&ab_channel=key2adventure - he uses a Techart TCX-01 adapter

Keith Cooper is the King of Tilt Shift == https://www.youtube.com/@KeithCooper as far as I am concerned - I have his book and follow his advice.

Christopher Leggett Photography - posts great work and guidance DAS (Dual Axis Shifting) with Nikon 19mm Tilt Shift and GFX 100  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I76Quw5eBN0&ab_channel=ChristopherLeggettPhotography

But then so does the mathphotographer using GFX and Leica gear typically, but he also uses an IQ4 and has used an X2D/X1Dii - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwtdWnFRxoM&ab_channel=mathphotographer   -- this vid has him use a range of TS lenses including from Canon on various bodies.

marcwilson

[/quote]

...The HTS's main weakness is that even with the 24mm lens the resulting focal length is 36mm so wider images need to be stitched together panos.
[/quote]

Is that using the standard HX adaptor or the newer 0.8 one?

Plancton06

Thanks for the answers. I am mainly interested in edge to edge resolution, doing very large prints without stitching images (I like people in arch shots)
Is it then right to assume that unless one would go for alpa/camo/HTS, it is simply better to use software to do perspective correction on the 28p and 21mm XCD lenses? I see the opinions and experience with canon/nikon are valid, but the advantages does seem minimal with the cropping possibilities of the new 100mp sensor.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: Plancton06 on September 25, 2023, 12:49:55 AM
Thanks for the answers. I am mainly interested in edge to edge resolution, doing very large prints without stitching images (I like people in arch shots)
Is it then right to assume that unless one would go for alpa/camo/HTS, it is simply better to use software to do perspective correction on the 28p and 21mm XCD lenses? I see the opinions and experience with canon/nikon are valid, but the advantages does seem minimal with the cropping possibilities of the new 100mp sensor.

The XCD 4/28P is not currently supported by Phocus 3.7.5 or any other software - see the thread on this lens where I just posted some more test shots.

One of the great advantages of using shift ot tech/view bodies is to create panos - by taking multiple images while shifting and holding the objective in place.
This is the key trick that is hard to do with a tilt-shift lens unless one acquires additional lens mounted support - but is easy to do with a tech/view camera. It is the point -- one moves the sensor not the lens to expand coverage.

That said some have argued the difference between holding the lens static and holding the sensor static is far lens than shooting stitched panos while rotating the camera - even when using a correctly aligned nodal rail