X2D resolution

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Good morning,
This camera really tempts me, having been delighted with an X1D some time ago.
Is it possible, like with an M11, to reduce the raw resolution (to preserve my computer ;)
Are 100Mpx raw files manageable in LR from a 6 year old MacBookPro: 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 4 cores, 16GB 2133MHz?
thanks in advance
Best Regards
Alain (from France)

Larsb

Hi Alain,  I think you might struggle with a Mac of that vintage and X2D raw images.  On my Mac (an M1 Ultra with 64GB), they are relatively quick to load and process.  I would definitely recommend upgrading to a M2 or M3 Mac with around 32GB of memory or more.  The X2D does not, unfortunately, have the ability to output Raws at different resolutions.  It is a nice feature of the Leica and would be good to have on the X2D,
cheers,
Lars (from Australia :-) )
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

hcubell

There are no M3 Macs available yet. There are M2 Macs, but there are great deals on M1 Ultra Studio Macs available on special pricing and properly configured they are amazing with X2D files.

MGrayson

My desktop is an iMac Pro with 10 cores and 128 Gb RAM. My laptop is an M1 Max 14" MacBook Pro. The laptop is about twice as fast as the desktop.

Moral of the story, get an M1 or M2 computer, even if it's a MacBook Air. It will be a dramatic increase in speed for handling X2D files (and everything else).

Ikarus

Not so good for my Mac Pro, from 2014; it might struggle?

ALAIN

Thank you very much for your valuable advices !