35mm (24x36) crop in X2D quality vs 60mp full frame

Previous topic - Next topic

Plancton06

The X2d has an option to crop the censor to match the same physical dimension of a full-frame 24-36 censor. By now this option seems to work only with adapted lenses (can't pick this crop mode using XCD lenses, not sure why)

If one were to adapt high quality full-frame lenses using this crop mode, is it realistic to expect similar or even close to identical quality to a 60mp modern FF censor? ( sharpness - vignetting ) The resolution in this crop mode, as well as the pixel size should be similar.
I know the results can be affected by the electronic shutter, specially moving subjects, but besides that, is there any other factor degrading the image quality?
I am particularly interested in using full-frame wide angles already proven in modern 60mp cameras such as Leica or Sony.

PatrickM

As I understand it, whether you shoot in a crop mode or nor, yiu can, using Phocus mobile, change the crop mode too. So it's useful to see on the camera monitor, but you'll still save the "full" uncropped image. That's a useful feature

Go to 43:29
https://youtu.be/bH0lRChKKSg?si=_cvtcu0L9LLQcoon

Plancton06

Thanks, this is useful to check or go back to the non cropped version.

My question is about image quality. I see two version of the 3:2 crop in the menu, one crops the 4:3 censor top and bottom, therefore the result is still a physically larger censor than full-frame (bringing optical issues with adapted lenses.  The second cropmode, is cropping to the same size as full-frame using the central part, therefore I assume the quality of a 60mp image using this mode is almost identical to a 60mp full frame camera with same lenses, such as a7rV or Leica M11, obviously leaving aside image processing.

There is a similar function in sony full frame cameras in order to use lenses design for the smaller apsc censor.

paratom

I assume you win the 16bit and overall great color of the Hassy sensor.
However we know from other cameras that for example wider Leica M lenses do not work as well in the corners on many sensors compared to Leica M cameras. So the answer might be "it depends". I believe to rember some threads in the internet which show various M-lenses and how they work on Hasselblad body.