X2D bug

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne1

I just received a new X2D, and right out of the box it has an instability when setting the AF point on the touch screen when viewing the EVF. The AF point moves erratically, sometimes by itself and occasionally the image zooms to 100% without a request to do so. This only is seen in the EVF; no problem in moving the AF point with touch on the rear screen when not viewing the EVF.
I have updated the firmware to 2.01 and tried changing the touch sensitivity, removing the screen protector and changing the active screen area for moving the AF point. Nothing helps. The behavior is lens independent.
This bug was reported in a thread about 9 months ago, but nothing was resolved and I bring it up again to see if others have since experienced this.  I realize that I can move the AF point with the wheels, but I really like moving it with the touch screen using my thumb while viewing the EVF. 
Thanks
Wayne

Eric Borgström

I had this problem with the X1D. The X2D solved it, for me.
/Eric

Frankvth

i never had this with the X2D. I tried to recreate but with my body i can't. so it might be a faulty body.
Send in for repairs.

JCM-Photos

When having the eye on the EVF the backscreen is turned in an AF touchpad.

Everything that touches the active zone (nose, finger) moves the AF zone)

The active screen zone size can be changed in the menu, only activating the zone that's relevant for you.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

mkerouac

Quote from: JCM-Photos on September 19, 2023, 12:49:03 AM
When having the eye on the EVF the backscreen is turned in an AF touchpad.

Everything that touches the active zone (nose, finger) moves the AF zone)

The active screen zone size can be changed in the menu, only activating the zone that's relevant for you.

This is correct.  You can also turn it off, so it does not activate when you put your eye to the EVF.

wayne1

I did think about maybe my nose touching the screen while viewing the EVF. I changed the active area, increased the EVF activation distance and made sure this was not the case, but it did not solve the issue. I also tried with and without the screen protector. While going through features of the camera yesterday, the touch screen became completely inactive. Camera is going back to BH photo. I ordered another one. When I first ordered the X1D 2, I had a similar experience in receiving defective cameras (no lens detected message with all lenses). It took 3 tries before I finally got a good one. If I did not really love the design and IQ of this camera, I would give up and go to something else.

wayne1

BTW, the problem did not appear every time I used the EVF to move the focus point.  I can see that someone in quality control might not have observed it.
Wayne

MGrayson

I have a thumb wheel that skips f-stops and pictures while browsing. Annoying, but not fatal.

PatrickM

Do you have focus assist on and set to zoom for when you're in manual focus mode?

wayne1

No, I did not have the zoom option turned on.
I returned the camera to B and H, and due to impatience I did not wait for them to issue a refund. Instead, I ordered another one with overnight shipping. I am happy to say that so far, this one is perfect.  Once in the hand, I was surprised how much of an upgrade it is from the X1D, which I also loved (once I got a functional one). The autofocus on all of my XCD lenses is now satisfyingly quick for my needs, the EVF is spectacular. I was convinced that I would not use the IBIS much because I like to shoot from a tripod, but I am rethinking that position after playing around a little.

Wayne

JCM-Photos

The kind of erratic behaviour you saw can also come from a battery default.

wayne1

JCM
Do  you mean a low battery voltage, or voltage drop  under load? If the battery were defective would the camera not know it, since it does report state of charge?

JCM-Photos

I've heard of such a behaviour on a X1D coming from a defective battery, perhaps fluctuating voltage ?

It's easy to show if the default remains or not with another battery.

wayne1

thanks
that is good to know if similar problems show up again; easy to test.

Wayne

flash

Did you reset the camera after the firmware update?

Gordon