H5Dc won't show battery life on grip

Previous topic - Next topic

eddymendoza

Hello, my H5Dc isn't showing the battery life on the grip. Is this typical or am I missing something? I have reset the battery using the online suggestion of removing the lens and battery then putting the battery back on while pressing the flash and menu button but all that does is show the battery level and is locked. I then have to press the flash for a few seconds to unlock but then the battery level is gone. I may be missing a step here.

Any help would be appreciated.

ezo

Batteries for the H are expensive and the trouble is sad.
I have been using the H series since the H4D and could not get the older 1850mAh battery to work well in the H6D, same with the H5D. If your battery is the same model, you may want to consider buying the newer 2900mAh or larger type.

eddymendoza

Thanks Ezo. I have the 2900 battery that came with the H5Dc. I also own an H2 system with a few 1850 batteries but those don't seem to even allow the H5Dc to take shot, not enough power I'm guessing. The problem I'm having is that the lcd on the grip doesn't show the battery levels by default, the slot is empty. I have to reset the battery each time I want to see how much juice I have left, not that I need to because it lasts a pretty long time and I mostly shoot tethered anyways. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right setting? One other note. Once I reset the battery the lcd shows that all of my dials are locked so I have to press the flash button for a few seconds and then it goes back to normal but that's when the battery level goes away. Weird stuff but like I said maybe it's something in the settings. I bought this camera a while back but went right to work and didn't even look at the manual because I'm so used to the H2, my bad! If you can think of anything that can help me fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Ed

ezo

Hi eddymendoza, My message was a little off the mark. I don't think the problem is the setting of the H5D.
In addition to the battery symbol remaining on the normal screen, if you press and hold the battery and light button, the battery level is displayed as a percentage. Can this be done? I will attach a picture.

Then,
If there is anything else I can do, try with a different battery pack. Try with a different body. I guess...

eddymendoza

Thank you for your help! When I press the battery/light button which is one button only and hold it the only thing that comes up is my firmware which I just noticed I need to update, you have the lates 3.6 10R but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem I'm having. I am attaching an image of what my camera shows.

Thanks again!

MSuser

Quote from: eddymendoza on September 11, 2023, 08:37:01 AM
Hello, my H5Dc isn't showing the battery life on the grip. Is this typical or am I missing something? I have reset the battery using the online suggestion of removing the lens and battery then putting the battery back on while pressing the flash and menu button but all that does is show the battery level and is locked. I then have to press the flash for a few seconds to unlock but then the battery level is gone. I may be missing a step here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried a different 2900 mAh battery? The problem could lie with the chip in the battery and not the camera.

You could also try recalibrating the battery (from H5D User Manual)...

The battery has an integrated 'fuel gauge' capability that supports the Replace battery and Battery status functions on the grip display. As with most Li-ion batteries, this capability should be occasionally calibrated, depending on how much the battery is used. To do this, leave the camera on (or use it), until the Replace battery warning appears. Then, recharge the battery for 6 hours. This will improve the accuracy of the measurements.

Some other suggestions...

After using or running the battery grip until Replace battery appears and then Fully Recharging (6+ hours minimum), if you do not see battery status — try battery reset with a fully charged and recalibrated battery...

Resetting the H System Battery

If the battery duration appears to be suffering, it is possible that the fuel gauge, as described earlier, will need to be reset. It is highly important that these steps are only carried out after the battery has been fully charged, as the gauge will be reset to 100% regardless of the current battery level.

1. Fully charge the H system battery over night.
2. Remove the lens, viewfinder and any battery from the H camera body.
3. Press and hold down both the Flash and Menu buttons on the H system camera
4. Attach the H system battery, making sure to keep the above two buttons held.
5. A series of beeps will be heard, indicating the battery has been reset.
[Immediately release the Flash and Menu buttons after reset beeps are heard.]
6. Replace any Lens and Viewfinder.

If you need the manual or to update firmware https://www.hasselblad.com/my-hasselblad/downloads/#4

If the home remedies don't work, contact Hasselblad support.