XCD 30mm vs XCD 38mm V

Previous topic - Next topic

pflower

I had the 21mm but it was just too wide for me and so have sold it.  Pretty much everything I do is with the 45mm.  But I would like something a little wider.  I now have an X2D and was wondering whether the new 38mm is a bit too close to the 45mm and whether the older 30mm might suit me better.

I have looked but haven't found any direct comparisons of their respective fields of view.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

pdprinter

MGrayson

Quote from: pflower on August 21, 2023, 11:01:06 AM
I had the 21mm but it was just too wide for me and so have sold it.  Pretty much everything I do is with the 45mm.  But I would like something a little wider.  I now have an X2D and was wondering whether the new 38mm is a bit too close to the 45mm and whether the older 30mm might suit me better.

I have looked but haven't found any direct comparisons of their respective fields of view.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

If it helps, the 30, 38, and 45 on the X2D have approximately the same FoV as 24, 31, and 36mm lenses on "full frame". In general, a multiplier of 0.8 works. The "approximately" is because the two sensors might not be the same shape.

tenmangu81

.... and, like the V series, the manual focus with the 45P is not by wire !!
Robert

Photon42

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

I had the 30, paired it with the 65, which worked really well for me. For occasional longer lenses, I use some HC legacy glass. When the 38 came out, I traded in the 30 and 45 for it? Why? The 38 for me is wide enough for most things and really practical in the sense that it is lightweight, has a large aperture and a better minimal focussing distance than the 30. I still have it and pair it either with the 65 or the HC100 with or without the converter lens. If Hasselblad ever comes out with a 24, I may be interested.
Whether 38 and 45 is too close, I don't know. I would not have a reason to keep both, but YMMV. With the X2D, you can almost always crop.

winono

Since you already own the 45mm, I'd recommend the 30mm, not the 38mm.

Frankvth

MarkN

The 28P is getting a lot of attention as it is small and portable, has fast autofocus and a quiet shutter - but it does not replace the 30mm.  If you look at the MTF curves the 30mm is optically superior to the 28P.  I will be keeping my 30mm and will pass on the 28P.

I own both the 30 and 38V and they are both equally excellent lenses.  The 30mm is significantly wider and wide enough for me as a widest lens.  I have the 21mm but find it too wide.

I would not be surprised to see a V lens somewhere between 38 and 21, but that is pure speculation on my part.

MarkN

But to answer your question the 38V is a stellar lens and certainly wider than the 45P.  I would say the 55V would be a good match for it.  The question then would be is there room for the 45P between 38 and 55?

Sanford

The 38 has replaced my 45 (original) as my street lens. Great shutter and very nice color rendition.
I am holding on to the 21 as it has produced some of my favorite landscape images. I frequently crop it's images square an get an effect similar to using a SWC.

mikeinpa

I have the original 45mm f/3.5 which lives on my X1Dii which is my backup and I have the 38mmV on the X2D. I want a 21mm V lens for landscapes and nightscapes.