X2D & ALPA

Previous topic - Next topic

fti9748

ALPA has a mount that allows the X1D to be attached to some of their bodies. I am assuming this can also be done with the X2D. So I am curious if anyone here has the adapter, and have used their X2D or even X1D with an ALPA "body.

I am enjoying the X2D but really want to be able to get tilt/shift functionality. 

MSuser

You may be interested in these videos from mathphotographer's YouTube channel showing the X2D100C and 907X used with the Hasselblad HTS 1.5 Tilt-Shift Adapter and XH Converter 0,8 as a potential solution.

www.youtube.com/Hasselblad X2D + HCD 4/28 + HTS 1.5 + XH 0.8x | City Lights in Medium Format

www.youtube.com/Gorgeous HASSELBLAD T/S VIEW CAMERA

fti9748

Thanks. I saw that video. And am considering the HTS. But I am really interested in the Alpa solution. I am also exploring the Arca Swiss solution. There you can mount an X2D onto one of their view  cameras.

Ideally I would like to see a HTS for the X bodies, that used XCD lenses. But I sense Hasselblad has decided that in-software correction of falling lines and focus stacking solve the problems that Tilt/Shift solve. And it is true to an extent for static studio still life. But I still feel there is a place for tilt in the wild and shift for those that like to compose and stitch.

anestesik

i have work with HTS for a long time. HTS is a tool from H system. H system is a very versatile system, not as fast as 35mm AF system for action, and not as technical as a tech like Sinar.

HTS is perfect when you need technical movements occasionally, and you dont have time for a slow camera system as technical cameras are.

rodenstock and schneider HR optics are quite superior for sharpening and geometrical corrections, deliver a quality HTS can not match, no matter the body.

HTS is fast, fun, useful for a H shooter who want more versatility when only want to work with a medium format system. That's my case, using it sometimes por still life pictures.

Sinar is so slow. So Alpa could match your requirements if you want the quality of HR technical lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider. Alpa bodies probable are super cool I never tried, but the most important is always the lens and sensor.

regards

anestesik

the best point when using a HTS is the corrections from Phocuse, always giving you a truly effective light metering, calculating the light lost by focus extension giving you a true diaphragm number, vignetting correction ( incredible ), geometrical correction.

Everything is auto when importing to Phocus. You save tons of hours compared to a manual tech camera. Perfect for work if you dont need the top of the top optical rendering.

H system was my favorite system so far. Incredible camera.

anestesik

alpa cameras are the perfect toy for prosumers, or landscape/architectural shooters. HR lenses are amazing.

fh29

Quote from: fti9748 on August 19, 2023, 09:18:19 AM
ALPA has a mount that allows the X1D to be attached to some of their bodies. I am assuming this can also be done with the X2D. So I am curious if anyone here has the adapter, and have used their X2D or even X1D with an ALPA "body.

I am enjoying the X2D but really want to be able to get tilt/shift functionality.
What do you intend to shoot with this combo ? Your wide angle options will be severely limited in tech cams. When I looked into this setup the HR50 was the widest you could use on an Alpa body offering some movements.
View cam with flexible bellows (small Arca & Cambo models) will offer more possibilities because the protruding grip is less problematic. I doubt you could use the HR32 though...

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: fti9748 on August 19, 2023, 09:18:19 AM

Just call or email Alpa -- who I am sure will say if the X1D fits then YES of course.  However, this is a very expensive solution - given the price of the ALPA, adapters and most importantly the lenses. If you oewn/use an ALPA and suitable lenses already then adding an adapter (see below) could work.

Source Linhof&Studio - The ALPA HCD adapter is for X type cameras (https://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Alpa-Back-Adapters/ALPA_Digital_Back_Adapter_HXD)
"ALPA HXD Adapter for Hasselblad X type cameras, allows a Hasselblad X body to be connected to ALPA lenses or camera bodies; depending on the adapter/camera combination, SB17 and SB34 lenses can be used in full; longer focal length SB34 lenses also allow multiple stitching on corresponding cameras Width 98mm x Height 98mm x Length 16mm Weight 69g"
""To use Alpa SB17 and SB34 lenses on the 907X or X1D. The Combination requirements are:
Alpa SB17 lens – code 180888011 FPS 11mm Spacer ( or an Alpa TC body)  – Alpa HXD adapter – Hasselblad X1D Body or 907X.
Whilst ALL Alpa bodies are 11mm  – if using any Alpa body other than the TC as a spacer – the Grip of the X1D body means it has to sit with a spacer and  it is this that means infinity cannot be reached.
For SB34 lenses you need 28mm of spacers instead of 11mm as above. In this case you could use ANY Alpa body ( 11mm) Plus 17mm of spacer on the rear of the Alpa body (like the 17mm tilt shift adapter)
In this case , with the spacer on the rear – the grip of the X1D body is not a problem. "

More reasonable priced solutions:
a) It works fine with the Cambo Actus and X plate with Cambo Actus Actar lenses. obviously one is using the electronic shutter
b) It works really well with the HTS with either the adapter or 0.8 converter with all HC/HCD lenses that come with at least firmware 17 if you want AF. see https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAbAWs

No doubt the mathphotographer who is swiss based and has produced many studies with Alpa and various backs will make a vid for YouTube if you ask him. BUT as noted I doubt it fits.

Here is a link to his vid on the HTS and X2D - https://youtu.be/msD4OOEJU-w?si=p6-U-z2T0O3K_Pzn

Andy Miller Photo UK

Here is a response I received from Paula at Lindhof&S  -- I asked about 20mm FL hence why Paula is pushing towards the Cambo Actus (which I own).

"Hello Mr. X – many thanks for your enquiry.

The Adapter does allow the X2D to fit to the rear of an Alpa with stitching ability like the Alpa STC or Pano – BUT – Only lenses SB34 can be used because of the FFD and also clearance for X2D Grip. The shortest focal length available in SB34 mount is a 50mm Alpagon.

Nothing anywhere near as wide as a 20mm is possible.

Putting the X2D on the rear of an Actus camera body - https://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Cambo-Actus-Series
In conjunction with a Cambo Actar lens such as the new 20mm https://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Cambo-Actus-Lenses/Cambo_Actar_20mm
would allow this.

The image circle of the 20mm is 68mm .
This gives you only a small degree of stitching possibility:
Basic results
Width 44.0
Height 33.0

Image circle of the basic format in mm 55.0
Vertical angle in ° of the focal length 79.0
Horizontal angle in ° of the focal length 95.5
Diagonal angle in ° of the focal length 107.9

unstitched
Potential shift (rise or fall) in mm 9.4
unstitched
Potential shift (lateral; left or right) in mm 7.7
unstitched

Maximum achievable vertical angle in ° 104.7
Equals ca. focal length in mm 13

Maximum achievable horizontal angle in ° 112.1

Equals ca. focal length in mm 15

I hope this is helpful and if you have any further questions – please just let me know.

Kind regards
Paula Pell-Johnson, Managing Director

Linhofstudio Ltd
Image House, 204 Leigh Road
Leigh-on-Sea, ESSEX, SS9 1BS T: 01702716116
info@linhofstudio.com

JCM-Photos

IMHO the best solution remains an old Hasselblad Arcbody and 903 X

Edit : Sorry for the typo, it's indeed 907X
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on September 14, 2023, 01:27:35 AM

903 X?

There are 903 SWC (film) and 907x (digital). However, 907x cannot be attached to Arcbody. You probably meant Arcbody and CFV-50c II.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: SrMi on September 14, 2023, 03:39:31 AM

903 X?

There are 903 SWC (film) and 907x (digital). However, 907x cannot be attached to Arcbody. You probably meant Arcbody and CFV-50c II.
Yes of course you have to attach the CFV II 50c back to the arcbody, but as this back cannot be purchased as such but is part of the 907X ...  you have two own a 907X and an Arcbody

To work with the leaf shutter it just needs the sync cable between the X sync of the Arcbody lens and the CFV back. This cable is part of the 907X box.
Focus is made on the groundglass of the Arcbody with its special magnifying viewfinder.
Without cable it works only with e-shutter.

This combo is probably the most compact medium format tilt-shift solution.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on September 14, 2023, 07:06:35 AM
Quote from: SrMi on September 14, 2023, 03:39:31 AM

903 X?

Yes of course you have to attach the CFV II 50c back to the arcbody, but as this back cannot be purchased as such but is part of the 907X ...  you have two own a 907X and an Arcbody

To work with the leaf shutter it just needs the sync cable between the X sync of the Arcbody lens and the CFV back. This cable is part of the 907X box.
Focus is made on the groundglass of the Arcbody with its special magnifying viewfinder.
Without cable it works only with e-shutter.

This combo is probably the most compact medium format tilt-shift solution.

I have been looking at the Arcbody available on eBay, as I have a nice collection of V lenses. Does Phocus recognize the setup and apply necessary corrections?

pdprinter

I like that small design of the arcbody but the lens with shortest focal length is 35mm which was great for the format originally designed for but I would prefer something shorter for 44x33. One thing which would be important is to have the center filter to compensate for vignetting. Compensation for light fall off through Phocus or any other software is difficult at the best as lens profile and shift degree is not available for these older lenses etc. I was seeing the specs of the tilt/shift lens just released from Fuji and these lenses are monstrous. A shift lens without tilt could be designed with much less bulk and with the much larger DOF for wide angle tilt is much less useful and I hope HB is considering that(likely in vain).