XCD 30 mm F3.5 Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Stentdoctor

I just purchased a used Hasselblad XCD 30 mm F3.5 from MPB.  The lens was listed as in excellent condition.  When I mount the lens onto my X2D it is in manual focus mode only - the camera reports it as manual focus.  The camera states "MF only Supported" if I trigger the AF-D button.  Is this a manual focus lens only or is there something wrong with the lens? I have a help request in with Hasselblad US but wanted an opinion from seasoned Hasselblad users since I am brand new to the system. My pancake Len works just fine.
Thanks for your time.
Sincerely
Don

mikaelo67

To my knowledge there are no manual focus lenses made by Hasselblad for the X system. So it's sounds faulty.

JCM-Photos

Rub the contacts with a cloth on camera and lens, and if it persists, Take a picture of the error message and contact the vendor to return the lens.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Stentdoctor

Thank you both for your replies.  I will clean the contacts and see if that works.  If not I will initiate a return to MPB. This would be the first piece of bad kit that I have gotten from them.  My experience overall has been very good. Thanks for the information.

anGy

You should update the firmware of the lens !

Zuazua

What happened?
Quote from: Stentdoctor on August 06, 2023, 08:31:25 AM
I just purchased a used Hasselblad XCD 30 mm F3.5 from MPB.  The lens was listed as in excellent condition.  When I mount the lens onto my X2D it is in manual focus mode only - the camera reports it as manual focus.  The camera states "MF only Supported" if I trigger the AF-D button.  Is this a manual focus lens only or is there something wrong with the lens? I have a help request in with Hasselblad US but wanted an opinion from seasoned Hasselblad users since I am brand new to the system. My pancake Len works just fine.
Thanks for your time.
Sincerely
Don

Stentdoctor

I would like to thank everyone for their help.  It was a firmware issue.  I upgraded the firmware for the lens and it is functioning perfectly - Merry Christmas to all of you - May you have a health and happy New Year and God Bless all of you!

JCM-Photos

Could you please say us what the firmware release numbers were before and now after update as the XCD 30 didn't receive a new firmware for years until now ? (0.6.0)
The only older XCD lens I know that had to be updated for use on the X2D is the XCD21 (0.6.1)

Helwin

Quote from: JCM-Photos on December 26, 2023, 03:12:48 PM
Could you please say us what the firmware release numbers were before and now after update as the XCD 30 didn't receive a new firmware for years until now ? (0.6.0)
The only older XCD lens I know that had to be updated for use on the X2D is the XCD21 (0.6.1)

My XCD 30 had firmware 0.5.40 installed when I bought it.

Similar to Stentdoctor´s report, it only worked in MF on the X2D, though the camera did not state "MF only supported". It just stayed in MF with no other choice.
Updated to 0.6.0 with no issues.

One of the best lenses I have used so far, btw.

JCM-Photos

My meaning is that it's not correct selling tested second hand gear that simply was not able to be tested due to completely obsolete no more compatible firmware.

During several years after launch of the X1D the system simply didn't work even after multiple new Camera and lens firmware updates.
My camera freezed once each 15 minutes and I had to shut it down and restart each time.
Once Hasselblad rewrote completely firmwares (going from parallel control of all functions to control of only active function) then it got much better but still needed numerous updates to work perfectly and for some years now.

I had this sort of problem with a well known European auction house that sells gears mentioned as expertized and tested for good working condition.
Once I bought a lightmeter with an LCD screen that missed a part of the displayed informations, I could give it back.
A second time I bought a nice little eighties point and shoot camera, it worked well but the counter indicated a mid roll frame number, as I opened it I found a 30 years old Kodak color negative film in it. This camera could not be tested with an old film engaged in it.

Helwin

Quote from: JCM-Photos on December 27, 2023, 07:55:34 PM
My meaning is that it's not correct selling tested second hand gear that simply was not able to be tested due to completely obsolete no more compatible firmware.

At MPB, maybe they tested the lens in combination with the X1D (II), and AF did work with the old firmware? Who knows...