Triggering the X2D interval sequence.

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeinpa

I want to try a bit of Astrophotography using a star tracker. I'd like to try the X2D built in interval sequence to take perhaps 75-100 2 second minute images with a small delay between each shot. No problem initiating the sequence by manually pressing shutter release but I can't get it to trigger using the Phocus Mobile app on my iPad.

Has anyone tried using a phone to initiate a sequence?

BTW is anyone else using the X2D of X1Dii for Astro?

mikeinpa

Quote from: Patrick M on July 31, 2023, 04:47:03 AM
Search the web ....
https://youtu.be/KZ1e_A-K-OU

Very nice but not really what I'm looking for. I'm looking to photograph Deep Sky Objects such as the Andromeda Galaxy and for that you need an intervalometer.

grotte

Quote from: mikeinpa on July 31, 2023, 04:21:00 AM
to take perhaps 75-100 2 second images with a small delay between each shot.

Even at the highest ISO, 2 sec exposure is not sufficient for the deep sky imaging. Moon is the only thing you'd hope to get, and it will likely be overexposed. Deep sky is all about gathering light which requires long exposures. Taking multiple images is for the purpose of reducing noise and eliminating hot pixels. Since you have the tracker, your best bet is to capture perhaps 10 to 20 images with (depending on the lens) with up to 3 min exposures (all in manual mode, including manual focusing using Bahtionov mask which you'll make yourself, and with the cable trigger), then post processing via the usual PIPP, AutoStakkertt, Registax etc.

The image below is the stitched panorama of the Milky Way with the Orion Nebula in the middle. XCD90: ISO100, f/4, 90sec. 20 exposures.

mikeinpa

Quote from: grotte on July 31, 2023, 08:01:41 AM
Quote from: mikeinpa on July 31, 2023, 04:21:00 AM
to take perhaps 75-100 2 second images with a small delay between each shot.

Even at the highest ISO, 2 sec exposure is not sufficient for the deep sky imaging. Moon is the only thing you'd hope to get, and it will likely be overexposed. Deep sky is all about gathering light which requires long exposures. Taking multiple images is for the purpose of reducing noise and eliminating hot pixels. Since you have the tracker, your best bet is to capture perhaps 10 to 20 images with (depending on the lens) with up to 3 min exposures (all in manual mode, including manual focusing using Bahtionov mask which you'll make yourself, and with the cable trigger), then post processing via the usual PIPP, AutoStakkertt, Registax etc.

The image below is the stitched panorama of the Milky Way with the Orion Nebula in the middle. XCD90: ISO100, f/4, 90sec. 20 exposures.

I should have wrote 2 minutes instead of seconds. I've had a tracker for a few years and am familiar with some Astro but never tried anything with the X2D.