Would you buy a used H6D-100C today

Previous topic - Next topic

kuau

With the recent announcement that the H system has been discontinued and service is now in question with Hasselblad would you still consider purchasing into the H system at the right price?

JCM-Photos

I guess, the service will be maintained at Hasselblad Sweden as long as spare parts exist, and it's built like a tank.

Would I buy one ?
Certainly no, for my usage it's way too big and heavy, and I really don't need 100 Mpix or more with the
H6 100 MS.

If in rare cases needed, I easily blow-up X1D 50 Mpix files to 200 Mpix in Gigapixel software with mind blowing results.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

disposable@tx.rr.com

Quote from: kuau on July 22, 2023, 09:01:02 AM
at the right price?

I'd have to give some very serious consideration to what "the right price" means and how that works out with my particular business model.

This certainly isn't a hobby system or a particularly good fit for the sort of commercial work I do, but for someone else it might be just the ticket "at the right price".

I buy a lot of used stuff, I have some early Hasselblad stuff for which NOBODY will provide service, but I don't have to rely on it to pay the rent.  I would need to be comfortable that service would be available over the period I would need to own the system to make economic sense.

If I just wanted a 100mp system with no other considerations I'd get a Fuji.

If "at the right price" got low enough, then hell yes  ;)

loceano

Hi -

I just did.

All in all I decided I was pretty happy with the images I had from the HC lenses I already owned and that a few more years out of the H system was likely to be worth it to me. The price new was never justifiable to me, but the used prices had dropped to a point I could. For me, the main reason to stay H was the larger sensor size and the film capabilities.

It's very early days with it, but I've enjoyed the updates as compared to my H4D. The same but different and better. A pleasant mix of the very familiar and the X style interface. I have not extensively tested the sensor quality or image differences yet.  I've generally been pleased with the larger sensor look no matter what the resolution.

That said - I was not ready for the absolute inability to get the newer batteries. (Luckily others here have figured out the re-celling problem.)  I suspect other parts will get harder to come by, but I have some backups that seem compatible. I do use a number of older/classic cameras so I am prepared for a general ebb and flow on the prices and availability.

On a side note, but perhaps of use - I also emailed Hasselblad Support last week about an unrelated H4D back problem.  They replied same day, and since I'm close to them, offered a quick diagnostics if I wanted to drop it off for evaluation. That gives me some mid term hope on H series support.  I may have been lucky, but it was a nice surprise.

Scott

JCM-Photos

Yes, H6 touchscreen functions and menus are very similar to mirrorless X system cameras
Sharpen your eyes not your files

wayne1

Just now I am thinking about purchasing a used H6D 100C for "the right price". The main worry is the availability of parts and repair for the future. In one of the posts above it was mentioned that batteries are already unavailable. Is that correct?

I am thinking about it for the larger sensor and perceived IQ, but also for the integration of the HTS 1.5 with the camera and Phocus software to do lens corrections with tilts and shifts. This seems to be unique to Hasselblad and the H system. Several people have put together a tilt/shift system for the X camera using a 0.8 converter+ HTS 1.5+ HD orange dot lens, but I guess data on tilt/shift values are not passed to the X camera and Phocus for lens corrections. How important is this? Will there be a problem with lens corrections with files from the X system setup?

Wayne

Mark Thompson

Hi Wayne1
I bought my first H6D-100c in 2018 and then when the X2D came out, prices dropped and I got a second H6D-100c (with yet another HC 80mm). I prefer the H series over the X for lots of reasons. Optical view finder suits my work flow and I'm setting my camera up to back project through the HVM and HTS1.5 combo for faster and more precise HTS photography. The second thing is, since about 2012 pixel sizes started to reduce in size a lot impacting the bit depth. Even the H6D is affected by this but not as severely as the X2D or the IQ4-150. Also the H series does not have pixel binning which the X2D does. And it's plainly visible which is undesirable to me.
Hasselblad has advised me service for the H6D will continue for many years. At the same time I'm an advocate for Hasselblad running both a professional camera with continued H series development along side a consumer driven X series market.
Get the 100c model :)
Photographer & Cinematographer based in Sandy, Utah.
www.markthompson.media

tony@tonywerner.com

I love my H6D 100c and have shot some amazing landscapes with it.  You can still buy new ones at B&H and others, but the price is high.  I also own the X2D 100c.  A much more manageable camera, but a smaller sensor.  That said, it is newer sensor.  I am just starting to shoot some side by side shots to compare.  Initial findings are dismaying to me, but the X2D has as good or maybe better image quality Thant he H6D.  I plan to do more exhaustive comparisons in the next week.  Both cameras are best for studio or landscape.  Their image quality is superb, but autofocus is slow and glass choices are still limited.  Both cameras are on the heavy side.  I just came back from a 21 day trip int he mediterainian and I took the X2D with the fast 80MM 1.9 and the 38 MM 2.5.  The 80mm is heavy!!!  I ended up getting some great shots, but next time I will travel lighter and either take my Leica or one of my canons.  The versatility of a zoom lens is great for travel photography.  That said shooting with fixed prime lens does make you a better photographer.  You have to slow dow, find the exact right location for the shot etc.

cavaphoto

I love my H6D-100 but it is very heavy... Like a Leica M, it is just pleasurable to use and of course the files are unbelievable. But more than anything it is about "feeling". The photos to me "feel" different. I feel Nowadays most good cameras have very similar end quality unless you are pixel peeping.

If anyone is interested in buying or trading for mine send me an email. I just don't use it as much since it is too heavy and usually take out the x2d even though I'd prefer to use the H6D....

DenisM

Quote from: Mark Thompson on January 13, 2024, 01:19:28 PMHi Wayne1
I bought my first H6D-100c in 2018 and then when the X2D came out, prices dropped and I got a second H6D-100c (with yet another HC 80mm). I prefer the H series over the X for lots of reasons. Optical view finder suits my work flow and I'm setting my camera up to back project through the HVM and HTS1.5 combo for faster and more precise HTS photography. The second thing is, since about 2012 pixel sizes started to reduce in size a lot impacting the bit depth. Even the H6D is affected by this but not as severely as the X2D or the IQ4-150. Also the H series does not have pixel binning which the X2D does. And it's plainly visible which is undesirable to me.
Hasselblad has advised me service for the H6D will continue for many years. At the same time I'm an advocate for Hasselblad running both a professional camera with continued H series development along side a consumer driven X series market.
Get the 100c model :)

What do you mean by pixel binning?

Regarding sensor size, I'm still using a H3Dii 39MS. Huge sensor, not many pixels. Files are extraordinary. Like 10x8" transparencies used to be. I also use Canon. My first digital Canon was a 1Ds Mkiii. Again, only 24Mp on a full size DLSR sensor. The tonal gradation of the 1DsMkiii beats my Canon 5DMkiii, but 5D has more acreage, admittedly.

I've always been suspicious about cramming more and more pixels on to smaller sensors. I've never compared the Fuji 100 files with the Hasselblad, but I do wonder. My 39Mp is A2 at 300ppi. Enough for 99% of uses. Yes, you can't crop in, but how often do we do that....seriously!

Great thread. Apologies for the diversion.

D.