HC lenses with firmware version 19.1.0

Previous topic - Next topic

wild-light-xpan

I apologise in advance if this question has been asked here before, but, is it the case that any HC lens with firmware 19.1.0 will autofocus on the X1D MkII via the XH adaptor?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Photon42

No - never  8) Let me cite the answer of Hasselblad support:

There are 3 generations of HC/HCD lenses:

Generation 1: Firmware 9.0.0 to 13.0.0
This was based on a one-time programmable CPU, and these lenses could not be updated at all (apart from small patches).

Generation 2: Firmware 15.0.0 to 17.0.0
New hardware with a new CPU that could have updates. However, the program memory is now full, and no additional code can be added.

Generation 3: Firmware 18.0.0 and later
A new and better CPU with much more program memory. This can be updated with new functionality. The first firmware for this generation was 18.0.0.

Gen 1 and 2 could have their exposure unit updated (read: replaced) by mother H, which would make them Gen 3. Not sure they to that still. Price was north of 1k USD.

wild-light-xpan

Thank you Photon,

So 'Generation 3: Firmware 18.0.0 and later' can be updated to 19.1.0 which will enable autofocus will function correctly?

I hope I've got that right!

fotophil

My experience shows that simply updating the firmware to 19.1 does NOT provide  AF function on the X2D running Ver 2. I find that there has to be an orange dot on the lens inorder to achieve AF

Photon42

The point is that Gen 1 and Gen 2 cannot be updated to 19.x. Orange Dot lenses are always Gen 3 and shutter speed goes up to 1/2000. Not all Gen 3 lenses are Orange Dot.

Shige

Dear wild-light-xpan-san.

Autofocus works on X1D/X1DII/X2D even if it is not an orange dot, as long as it is firmware 19.1.
I see HC80 and HC100 lenses on the used market with firmware 19.1 that are not orange dot. It can autofocus.
If it cannot autofocus with firmware 19.1, the AF motor is broken or the control board is broken.
I think it needs to be repaired.

wild-light-xpan

outside_late

From the Hasselblad website:

All H System lenses with firmware 18.0.0 or later must be updated to the newest version 19.1.0 to work with the XH Converter 0,8 and to get auto focus (HC 120 and HC 120 II can only be used in manual focus mode). Other H System lenses (except HC 120 and HC 120 II) with firmware older than 18.0.0 will work but only in manual focus mode. Please note that only HC/HCD lenses with firmware 18.0.0 or later can be updated to 19.1.0. Lenses with older firmware have older hardware and therefore cannot be updated. Additionally, the X1D-50c must be updated with firmware 1.25.0 or later and the X1D II 50C, 907X 50C and 907X Special Edition cameras must all be updated with firmware 1.4.0 or later.

https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system/accessories/xh-converter-0-8

Shige

Thanks for the information on the official site.

Below are the results of the operation test for the lenses I personally have.
https://shige-art.net/en/hasselblad-my-lens-list/

>Other H-system lenses with firmware older than 18.0.0 (except HC 120 and HC 120 II) will work, but only in manual focus mode.
As a caveat to the above, it should be noted that firmware versions of the HC 120mm (HC 120 II) older than 18.0.0 cannot be used with the XH Converter 0.8 because the camera will not recognize the lens. For this reason I replaced it with the Orange Dot HC120-II model.

flash

Quote from: fotophil on July 02, 2023, 07:21:10 AM
My experience shows that simply updating the firmware to 19.1 does provide  AF function on the X2D running Ver 2. I find that there has to be an orange dot on the lens inorder to achieve AF

My HC210 is NOT orange dot and has a maximum shutter of 1/800. I have firmware 19.1 and AF on the X2D.

All orange dot lenses will be OK. SOME non orange dot lenses from around 2014 on will be OK but not all. Check before purchase.

2013 and earlier will generally not be able to be updated..

Gordon

fotophil

Does your non-orange dot lens with firmware 19.1 actually AF on a X2D running Ver 2.0? I think my X2D would AF with the original Ver 1 firmware but I am not sure. I am sure that it does not work non-oranges  with Firmware 19.1. I do have an orange dot lens that does AF on my X2D with Ver.2. It does seem that the orange dot is required for proper AF operation!

flash

Quote from: fotophil on July 04, 2023, 01:49:59 PM
Does your non-orange dot lens with firmware 19.1 actually AF on a X2D running Ver 2.0? I think my X2D would AF with the original Ver 1 firmware but I am not sure. I am sure that it does not work non-oranges  with Firmware 19.1. I do have an orange dot lens that does AF on my X2D with Ver.2. It does seem that the orange dot is required for proper AF operation!

Yep. AF and IBIS on fw 2.0.

My 24 is also not orange dot and has AF and IBIS. But it has the 1/2000 shutter so that is expected.

My 100, 150 and 35-90 are all orange dot lenses.

Gordon

fotophil

I have three non-orange dot lenses with firmware 19.1 firmware that will not AF on my X2D with Ver 2.0. I don't understand because all three lenses will AF with my old X1D camera. I do have an orange dot HC210 lenses with does AF on the X2D using firmware. I wonder if I can gain AF function of the X2D by performing a factory reset? What does the factory reset actually do? It is all a big mystery to me!

fotophil

Do you think a reset option might help me get AF on my three non-orange dot lenses with firmware 19.1?

flash

Quote from: fotophil on July 08, 2023, 09:16:38 AM
Do you think a reset option might help me get AF on my three non-orange dot lenses with firmware 19.1?

Can't say. I did do a full reset after upgrading to 2.0. It was noted that a few people had issues fixed with a reset so I did one as soon as I upgraded each camera (I have two X2D bodies). I don't use my 24 much ATM and only tested it because of this thread.

I haven't tested using the 0.8x adaptor yet as it's on loan for another few days. Just the regular adaptor without optics.

Gordon